In the West Bank, a Palestinian succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces during a raid in Ras Karkar last week. Israeli settlers posing as Israeli forces made 3 Palestinian families...
-
October 30, 2023
-
June 23, 2023
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers with a military escort raided Deir Dibwan, setting fire to trees; 1 Palestinian was injured by live ammunition fired by Israeli forces during the raid. Israeli...
-
February 6, 2012
Fatah PA pres. Abbas and Hamas leader Mishal end 2 days of talks in Qatar on forming by Fatah-Hamas consensus a transitional government of independent technocrats with a limited mandate to take...
-
September 20, 1982
Military Action:
IDF begins pulling out troops from West Beirut under mounting world pressure; thousands of Palestinians flee camps in panic, fearing return of Phalange/Haddad militias to...
In the West Bank, a Palestinian succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces during a raid in Ras Karkar last week. Israeli settlers posing as Israeli forces made 3 Palestinian families demolish their residential tents on the outskirts of Hizma. Israeli forces shot and killed 4 Palestinians during a raid in Jenin, 9 were injured, including 1 in a drone strike on a house. Israeli forces also shot and killed a Palestinian during a raid in Yatta. Elsewhere, Israeli forces shot and injured 44 Palestinians during raids in Beita, Hebron, Zawata, Safa, al-Ram, Dura al-Qara’, ‘Anata, and Dheisheh refugee camp. 60 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Ramallah, Silwad, Hebron, Nablus, Bethlehem, Tulkarm, and Qalqilya. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian in Shaykh Jarrah, claiming he had stabbed and injured a police officer. In Gaza, Israeli airstrikes killed at least 304 Palestinians. Israel said it had carried out 600 airstrikes in the past 24 hours. Hamas said it had repelled Israeli advances near Gaza City, forcing Israeli tanks and bulldozers to retreat. Israel hit the Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital, causing extensive damage. Near Lebanon, an Israeli soldier was killed and 2 others injured when an Israeli tank rolled over them. Israel attacked several places in Lebanon; 3 mortar shells were fired at Israel. In Syria, Israeli forces carried out airstrikes, saying they had hit targets that fired rockets toward Israel. (AP 10/29; AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, HA, NYT, NYT, NYT, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 10/30; HA, NYT 10/31)
The Gaza Ministry of Health said at least 8,309 Palestinians have been killed, including around 5,000 women and children, and 21,048 have been injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. 1,800 Palestinians, including 940 children, have been reported missing. In addition, Israeli media reported that 1,500 Palestinian militants have been killed near Gaza. 122 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 33 children. More than 2,208 have been injured. Israeli officials recorded no new fatalities, leaving the Israeli death toll at around 1,400 Israelis and foreign nationals; 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. The UN reported that over 1.4 million Palestinians, more than half the population in Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7 and that since 11 p.m. on 10/12 there has been a complete electricity blackout due to the Israeli blockade. As of 10/23, at least 27,781 housing units had been destroyed and 150,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7. At least 45% of all housing units have been either destroyed or damaged in Israeli airstrikes. UNRWA said 10 of its staff have been killed in the past 3 days, bringing the total number of UNRWA staff killed by Israel to 63. 26 trucks carrying aid to Gaza entered via the Rafah crossing. The WHO said it had not been able to resupply al-Shifa and al-Quds hospitals because of the risk of Israeli airstrikes. The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said an Israeli airstrike damaged its warehouse in Gaza City. Israel closed off the water to Gaza again after reopening 2 water lines in the past week. (AJ, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA 10/30)
Hamas released a video of 3 Israeli captives, calling on Israel to facilitate their release. Israel said it had rescued 1 captive from Hamas during an operation in Gaza. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, HA, NYT, REU, REU 10/30)
Al Jazeera journalist Youmna ElSayed said her family had received a phone call from Israel warning them to flee south from Gaza City. Al Jazeera condemned the threat against their journalist in a statement, saying “Israel’s actions continue with impunity as they attempt to silence the messenger.” (AJ, AJ 10/30)
PA foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki met with Cypriot foreign minister Constantinos Kombos, discussing the need for an immediate ceasefire. (WAFA 10/30)
Israeli media reported that Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich had sent a letter to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, informing him that monthly payments to the PA delivering the PA’s tax revenue had stopped. (AJ 10/30)
A draft document written by the Israeli Ministry of Intelligence said Israel may try to forcefully displace Palestinians in Gaza to Egypt. 2 other options in the document included that Israel hands control of Gaza to the PA or that is establish “local Arab rule” by Palestinians in Gaza. Israeli sources verified the authenticity of the document but said the government is not expected to debate the proposals. (HA 10/30; AP 10/31)
The Israeli High Court of Justice denied a petition by 3 Israeli organizations to remove a temporary order allowing worsening conditions for Palestinian prisoners. The judges said “[t]he assessment of human rights violations in times of war is not comparable to such assessments in peaceful situations.” (HA 10/30)
Al-Haq, al-Mazan, and the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights urged ICC prosecutor Karim Khan to issue arrest warrants for “Israeli authorities and military personnel.” (AJ 10/30; WAFA 10/31)
At the UN Security Council, PA ambassador to the UN Riyad Mansour criticized the international community for not forcing Israel to stop its bombing of Gaza, saying “they are besieged and bombed with nowhere safe to go.” Israeli UN ambassador Gilad Erdan wore a yellow Star of David, resembling the markings forced on Jewish people by Nazi Germany, saying “Never Again.” Dani Dayan, the chairperson of the Israeli Holocaust Remembrance Center, Yad Vashem, said Erdan’s actions “disgraces both Holocaust victims and Israel.” UNRWA commissioner-general Phillippe Lazzarini told the Security Council that a ceasefire was a “matter of life and death for millions,” and charged Israel with collective punishment. (AJ, NYT, WAFA 10/30; AP, AP, HA, HA, HA, WAFA 10/31; HA 11/1)
Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant said Hamas will “die fighting” or “surrender without any conditions.” (AJ 10/30)
U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said the U.S. does not support a ceasefire, reiterating the White House’s position that a ceasefire would only benefit Hamas. Kirby stated the U.S. position was to support “temporary, localized humanitarian pauses for aid, and for people to get out.” The U.S. also said 4 rockets were launched at the Ain al-Asad air base, causing no injuries or damage. Saudi defense minister Khalid bin Salman said he discussed the need for a ceasefire during a meeting with National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. (AJ, HA, REU, REU 10/30; AJ 10/31)
UK foreign secretary James Cleverly said the UK was working to facilitate a temporary ceasefire to allow more aid to enter Gaza. UK parliamentary private secretary Paul Bristow was fired from the Conservative government for writing a letter to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak calling for a ceasefire. (AJ, REU 10/30; AJ, AJ, HA 10/31)
Axios reported that Mossad director David Barnea traveled to Qatar over the weekend for meetings with Qatari officials regarding a prisoner exchange with Hamas. U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken spoke with Qatari prime minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, discussing the humanitarian situation in Gaza and Qatari efforts to mediate a prisoner exchange. (AJ, AX, HA 10/30)
OIC secretary-general Hussein Brahim Taha condemned the Israeli attacks on Gaza, calling on the international community to intervene. (WAFA 10/30)
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers with a military escort raided Deir Dibwan, setting fire to trees; 1 Palestinian was injured by live ammunition fired by Israeli forces during the raid. Israeli settlers also threw stones at Palestinian vehicles near Beitin and Hebron. Israeli forces shot and killed 1 Palestinian man during a raid in Nablus. Israeli forces also shot a 5-year-old Palestinian boy in the eye with a rubber-coated bullet in Bizarya; the boy’s eye was later removed at a hospital. Elsewhere, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Kafr Qaddum, injuring 4 with baton rounds and others with tear gas. Israeli forces also violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Bayt Dajan, causing tear-gas related injuries. Meanwhile, Israeli forces seized 1 excavator in Dahariya. 11 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Askar refugee camp, Bethlehem, Abu Nuyaim, Beit Umar, Dura, and Tulkarm; 2 Palestinians were injured by Israeli live ammunition during the raid in Askar refugee camp. (WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 6/23; WAFA, WAFA 6/24; HA 6/27; PCHR 7/6; UNOCHA 7/8)
The Shin Bet said it had arrested 3 Israeli settlers following several Israeli settler attacks on Palestinian towns and villages in the past week. (AP 6/23)
Representatives from 20 EU countries visited Turmus ‘Ayya to express condolences to the victims of the Israeli settler attack on 6/21. In a statement the countries said as the occupier Israel is obligated to protect Palestinians and prosecute the violent settlers. (WAFA 6/23; HA 6/24)
Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir told Israeli settlers at the partly resettled Evyatar settlement outpost that the settlers should “[r]un to the hilltops” and build settlements “in all the hills around.” Ben-Gvir also called for the Israeli military to “launch a military operation, take down buildings and eliminate terrorists. Not just one or two, but dozens and hundreds and if needed, thousands.” Later on 6/25, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said such calls to grab land are “unacceptable to me.” (HA, WAFA, WAFA 6/23; WAFA 6/24; CNN 6/25)
U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan spoke with his Israeli counterpart Tzachi Hanegbi, expressing concern about Israeli settler attacks on Palestinian villages. Several Democratic members of the U.S. House of Representatives, including pro-Israel representatives, condemned the settler attacks, as did the Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Committee. Morocco also officially canceled the second summit of the normalization organization the Negev Forum, citing “uncomfortable diplomatic relations.” The summit, scheduled to be held in Rabat, has been postponed since March. (HA, REU 6/23; HA, HA 6/24; HA, WAFA, WAFA 6/25)
U.S. national security spokesperson John Kirby said that U.S. officials had met with victims of the Israeli settler attacks on Turmus ‘Ayya on 6/21 and that U.S. citizens were among the victims. (AJ 6/23)
UN human rights commissioner Volker Türk criticized the Israeli usage of “advanced weapons” in the West Bank this week, saying it was adding to volatility of the situation. For the first time since the Second Intifada, Israel used drones and helicopters to attack Palestinians in the West Bank. (AJ, WAFA 6/23)
Fatah PA pres. Abbas and Hamas leader Mishal end 2 days of talks in Qatar on forming by Fatah-Hamas consensus a transitional government of independent technocrats with a limited mandate to take the Palestinians to new presidential and parliamentary elections and to lead reconstruction of Gaza, as agreed under the 5/2011 national unity deal. To overcome international concerns about Hamas’s participation and differences between Fatah and Hamas regarding who should serve as PM (Hamas strongly opposed current PA PM Salam al-Fayyad), the sides agree that Abbas would lead the transitional government, serving as both pres. and PM. They stress that the new government “will be a technical one more than a political one” and that diplomacy will rest with the PLO. A meeting of all Palestinian factions is set for 2/18 to endorse the plan. Israeli PM Netanyahu immediately denounces Abbas for “joining forces with the enemies of peace.” The EU and U.S. say they look forward to continuing their support of the PA, provided the new government is committed to the Quartet principles of nonviolence, recognition of Israel, and adherence to existing peace agreements. (NYT, WP 2/6; AP, NYT, WP 2/7; see also MNA 2/5)
Unidentified Palestinians fire a Qassam rocket fr. Gaza into Israel, causing no damage or injuries. In response, Israeli warplanes make late-night air strikes on open areas nr. the Gaza border n. of Bayt Hanun, causing no reported injuries. In the West Bank, the IDF patrols in 2 villages nr. Ramallah and 1 nr. Salfit; conducts late-night arrest raids, house searches in Tulkarm and nr. Jenin and Nablus. Just outside East Jerusalem nr. al-Tur, Israeli border police and an undercover unit bulldoze 20 d. of Palestinian land, demolishing 2 walls, 3 natural caves, and a water network supplying several Palestinian homes. Jewish settlers fr. Kiryat Arba settlement in Hebron escorted by IDF troops begin planting trees on 150 d. of nearby Palestinian agricultural land that the IDF previously declared a closed military zone. (PCHR 2/9; OCHA 2/10)
Military Action:
IDF begins pulling out troops from West Beirut under mounting world pressure; thousands of Palestinians flee camps in panic, fearing return of Phalange/Haddad militias to camps following IDF withdrawal, before Lebanese Army can restore calm; Phalange and Haddad forces sighted setting up own roadblocks in West Beirut.
Casualties:
Red Cross continues to recover bodies, 130 recovered so far, no mass graves opened yet.
Political Responses:
Israel/ Occupied Territories: Controversy grows as media report government officials were aware that civilians were being killed in camps 36 hours before they intervened (denied by government officials); Haaretz, Davar, Jerusalem Post, Maariv call for ouster of Sharon and/or Begin, convening of national board of inquiry into Israeli complicity in massacre; Begin's office concedes Cabinet gave advance approval for IDF to allow Phalange/Haddad militias to enter camps last week; Israeli President Navon calls for independent inquiry into the massacre, Begin favors only investigating commission; National Religious Party joins Navon in pressuring Begin to allow a full investigation; Labor, Mapam, Shinui and Peace Now call for mass rally in Tel Aviv on Saturday; Palestinian leaders voice outrage at massacre; Palestinian youth throw stones at Israeli vehicles, set fire to tires in Ramallah and Nablus, police disperse crowds with tear gas and rubber bullets with no casualties; many stores close in protest, are forced open by Israeli soldiers; school openings in occupied territories postponed for two weeks; over 40 representatives of West Bank and Gaza refugees occupy UNRWA Jerusalem office to protest food ration cuts announced Sept. 1, UNRWA Employees' Union joins protest.
Palestinians/ Lebanese: Palestine Central Council ends one-day meeting with statement condemning Israeli role in massacre, blaming Lebanese Army, US, France and Italy, and pledges to avenge killings; Camille Chamoun withdraws from race for Lebanese presidency as it becomes clear Amin Gemayel has votes to win.
Arab Governments: Egypt recalls ambassador to Israel but does not break diplomatic relations; Jordan's King Hussein accuses Israel of responsibility for massacre but urges positive Arab response to Reagan proposals, calls on PLO to join him to draw up federation plan along lines of Reagan proposal; emergency Arab League meeting in Tunis called at request of PLO delayed until tomorrow.
US and Other Counties: Reagan agrees to Lebanese request for return of US Marines, asks Israel to pull out of Beirut; Congress gives troubled support to decision, Weinberger doubts presence of Marines would have prevented massacre; several US Jewish leaders call for inquiry, demand that Israel cut all ties with Christian groups involved in massacre; USSR condemns Israel but blames US for "encouraging" Israel's "criminal aggression," proposes joint US-Soviet action to curb Israel; Indian Prime Minister Gandhi condemns massacre; 10-member European Community condemns massacre, demands Israeli withdrawal; Danish Foreign Minister meets with PLO leader Kaddoumi, says PLO must be associated with Middle East peace talks; Italian workers go on hour-long strike and attend rallies protesting massacre; Britain condemns massacre, demands Israeli withdrawal.