5 / 15524 Results
  • July 18, 2021

    In the West Bank, Israeli forces closed off large parts of Hebron to Palestinians, including forcing Palestinians to close their shops in the Bab al-Zawyeh area to allow Israeli settlers to tour...

    Read more
  • June 13, 2021

    In the West Bank, Israeli forces leveled Palestinian-owned land near Hizma. Israeli forces also seized tents sheltering 2 Bedouin families near Taybeh, displacing 15 people. Elsewhere, Israeli...

    Read more
  • March 25, 2021

    In the West Bank, 4 Israeli settlers attacked 1 Palestinian farmer working his land in al-Khadir; the man was later taken to a hospital for treatment of his injuries. Israeli forces raided Salfit...

    Read more
  • February 22, 2021

    In the West Bank, Israeli forces seized 12 residential tents in Khirbet Humsa; this marked the 4th time Israeli forces seized and demolished structures in the bedouin community this month. Israeli...

    Read more
  • January 27, 2021

    In the West Bank, Israeli forces raided Kafr Malik, leading to clashes with Palestinians; 1 Palestinian was shot by a rubber-coated bullet, others suffered tear-gas related injuries. Israeli...

    Read more

In the West Bank, Israeli forces closed off large parts of Hebron to Palestinians, including forcing Palestinians to close their shops in the Bab al-Zawyeh area to allow Israeli settlers to tour it. Israeli forces also seized an excavator in Burin. 7 Palestinians were arrested, including 5 during late-night raids in and around Bethlehem, Burqin, and Deir Ghasana, 1 was arrested at a checkpoint near al-Khader, and 1 was arrested at the entrance to Zabbuba. In East Jerusalem, nearly 1,700 Israeli settlers toured the Haram al-Sharif compound on the Jewish holiday Tisha B’Av, drawing criticism from the Israeli governing party the United Arab List, the PA, Hamas, the EU, and Jordan. Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters on and around the Haram al-Sharif compound who were expressing anger over the settler incursion, causing injuries and 5 arrests. (AJ, AP, HA, HA, MEMO, MEMO, REU, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 7/18; MEMO, MEMO 7/19; PCHR 7/29)

The Rafah crossing between Gaza and Egypt was open for 1 day. (MEMO, WAFA 7/19)

In a statement after the Israeli settlers had toured the Haram al-Sharif compound, Israeli prime minister Naftali Bennett said the Israeli security forces had preserved “freedom of worship for Jews on the Mound [the Haram al-Sharif compound],” a significant departure from the status quo of the Holy Sites and a 1st from an Israeli prime minister. Under the status quo agreement, only Muslims have the right to worship on the Haram al-Sharif compound. 1 day later, Prime Minister Bennett clarified that the wording was a mistake and that he meant “visit” rather than “worship.” (HA, MEMO 7/18; AP, HA, JP, WAFA 7/19)

The Israeli high court of justice rejected a petition from Peace Now to stop the transfer of Israeli public funds to the Amana movement, which funds and builds unauthorized constructions in Israeli settlements and settlement outposts. (HA 7/19)

Israeli foreign minister Yair Lapid said that the Israeli government would examine the diplomatic ramifications of the demolition and eviction of the bedouin community Khan al-Ahmar. (HA 7/18; MEMO 7/19)

The PFLP-GC said it had elected a new leader, Talal Naji, to replace Ahmed Jibril who died on 7/7 after months of sickness. (AP, HA 7/18)

17 news outlets published a Forbidden Stories and Amnesty International investigation based on a leak of more than 50,000 records of phone numbers, which had been targeted for surveillance with Pegasus spyware from the Israeli spyware company NSO Group’s clients. The investigation found that at least 180 journalists from 21 countries had been targeted by 12 NSO Group clients, including the governments of Bahrain, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, India, the UAE, Mexico, Hungary, Azerbaijan, Togo, and Rwanda. The investigation also found that heads of governments, including Pakistan’s prime minister Imran Khan, France’s president Emmanuel Macron, and Morocco’s king Mohammed VI, were among possible victims. Furthermore, the investigation showed that Pegasus spyware was installed on Saudi dissent journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s fiancée’s phone and that his son had been listed for targeting before Khashoggi was murdered by special forces in Saudi’s embassy in Istanbul on 10/2/2018. Charges against NSO Group that its spyware was used against Khashoggi have been denied by the company. The Israeli government approves all sales of spyware from NSO Group to potential clients. Amazon subsequently said it had shut down its servers used by NSO Group. The investigation comes as a different investigation into another Israeli spyware company Candiru was released on 7/15. Later, after the Forbidden Stories investigation was published and with international criticism mounting, the Knesset’s foreign affairs and defense committee chairman Ram Ben Barak on 7/22 said that his committee would review the process of granting licenses to export spyware to other countries. France and Luxembourg said they would start investigations into the Israeli-made spyware. (NYT 7/17; AI, AJ, F24, GDN, HA, HA, HA, HA, MEE, NYT 7/18; AJ, ALM, AP, GDN, MEE, MEE, MEMO, MEMO, NPR, REU, REU 7/19; AJ, ALM, AP, AP, HA, HA, HA, MEE, REU 7/20; AJ, AP, HA, HA, MEE, MEE, MEE, MEMO, MEMO, MEMO, REU, REU, REU 7/21; AJ, ALM, BBC, HA, HA, HA, HA, MEE, MEE 7/22; HA, MEE, MEE 7/23; CNN, HILL 7/25)

In the West Bank, Israeli forces leveled Palestinian-owned land near Hizma. Israeli forces also seized tents sheltering 2 Bedouin families near Taybeh, displacing 15 people. Elsewhere, Israeli forces assaulted 3 Palestinians near Jenin while they were traveling to their workplaces in Israel. 5 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Rantis, Dayr Abu Mash‘al, and Hebron. In East Jerusalem, Israel banned a bazaar to support Palestinian National Economic Week in Bayt Hanina. 1 Palestinian was arrested in Issawiyya. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire at Palestinian farmers east of Khuza‘a; no injuries were reported. (MEMO, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 6/13; PCHR 6/17)

The Knesset voted to confirm the new Israeli government headed by Naftali Bennet of Yamina (Rightwards). Yair Lapid of Yesh Atid (There Is a Future) will serve as alternate prime minister and foreign minister. After 2 years, the coalition agreement will rotate the minister posts so Prime Minister Bennett will become alternate prime minister and interior minister, while Yair Lapid will become prime minister. Ra’am (United Arab List), headed by Mansour Abbas, received roles as deputy ministers, deputy Knesset speaker, chairman of the Arab affairs committee, and will chair Knesset’s interior committee, in return for the party’s support of the government. Abbas also pushed through demands, such as a freeze of the Kaminitz law and large budgets for ending gun violence and infrastructure in Palestinian Israeli communities. During his address to Knesset, Prime Minister Bennett said that he, like his predecessor, opposes the Iran nuclear deal and that he would address the housing needs of Palestinian citizens of Israel. U.S. president Joe Biden spoke to Prime Minister Bennett 2 hours after the government was sworn in. In his last speech as prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu said that he had ignored demands from the U.S. government to freeze settlement construction in East Jerusalem and that he rejected U.S. plans to reopen the U.S. consulate in East Jerusalem. Netanyahu also told Bennett that he would not partake in a formal inauguration ceremony on 6/14. (HA 6/11; ABC, AJ, AJ, ALM, AP, CNN, DW, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, JP, NYT, NYT, REU, REU, TOI, WAFA 6/13; AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, GDN, HA, HA, HA, HA, REU, TOI 6/14; AP 6/15)

In the West Bank, 4 Israeli settlers attacked 1 Palestinian farmer working his land in al-Khadir; the man was later taken to a hospital for treatment of his injuries. Israeli forces raided Salfit, leading to tear-gas related injuries. 26 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Bayt Kahal, Hebron, Dheisheh refugee camp, al-Mughayyir, Tell, and Nablus. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces handed the former Grand Mufti of Jerusalem Shaykh Ekrima Sabri a notice banning him from traveling for 2 months. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces opened fire and sprayed water on Palestinian fishermen within 6 nautical miles west of Dayr al-Balah, causing damage to 1 boat, which sank; no injuries were reported. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire at agricultural lands east of Dayr al-Balah; no injuries were reported. In Israel, anti-Palestinian Israelis vandalized more than 30 cars by slashing tires and writing in Hebrew “expel or kill” on them with graffiti in Kafr Kassim; The mayor of Kafr Kassim called it “an act of terrorism.” Israeli forces demolished the bedouin village al-‘Araqib for the 185th time since 2000. (HA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 3/25; PCHR 4/1)

Israel’s Channel 12 News reported that 1 Israeli-owned cargo ship was hit by an Iranian missile in the Arabian Sea. (REU 3/25; ALM, HA 3/26)

The U.S. state department announced that it would send $15 million in COVID-19 aid to the occupied Palestinian territories through Catholic Relief Services and U.S. AID emergency food assistance programs. (ALM, AP, HA, WAFA 3/25; AJ, WAFA 3/26)

Norway donated $900,000 to the Palestinian Central Election Commission to support the 2021 Palestinian elections. (WAFA 3/25)

In the West Bank, Israeli forces seized 12 residential tents in Khirbet Humsa; this marked the 4th time Israeli forces seized and demolished structures in the bedouin community this month. Israeli forces also demolished 1 house under construction in Tuqu‘ and 2 agricultural structures in al-Khadir. 19 Palestinians were arrested during raids in and around Nablus, Qabatiya, Jenin refugee camp, Anabta, Hizma, Qalandia refugee camp, Bethlehem, Jericho, and Hebron; clashes erupted during the raid in Qalandia, leading to tear-gas related injuries. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces demolished a 2-story apartment building in Issawiyya, displacing 4 families consisting of 17 members, including 12 children; according to 1 of the Palestinians living in the building, a Waqf guard who was a Shin Bet coordinator had told him 6 months prior that “there’s a 90 percent chance that your house will be demolished.” Israeli forces also demolished 2 Palestinian-owned shops in Sur Bahir. Israel also banned 1 Palestinian from al-Tur, where he lives, for 2 weeks. 2 Palestinians were arrested during a late-night raid in Kafr ‘Aqab; clashes erupted during the raid, leading to tear-gas related injuries. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire at Palestinian farmers east of Khan Yunis; no injuries were reported. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces sank 1 Palestinian fishing boat after opening fire at Palestinian fishermen 6 nautical miles northwest of Khan Yunis; no injuries were reported. (HA, TOI, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 2/22; HA, PCHR 2/25)

In Gaza, health workers began inoculating Palestinians with the Sputnik V vaccine provided by the UAE and the PA. (AJ, AP 2/22)

The World Bank said that the PA faces a funding gap of $30 million to secure the needed COVID-19 doses for a successful vaccination campaign in the West Bank and Gaza. The World Bank called on other countries to donate to shrink the gap. (AJ, HA 2/22)

The court overseeing Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s corruption trial said the start of the evidentiary stage will be delayed until 4/5, after the Israeli elections. (AP 2/23)

Axios reported that U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken asked his Israeli counterpart Gabi Ashkenazi to facilitate the transfer of more COVID-19 vaccines to the West Bank and Gaza. (AX, TOI 2/23; HA 2/24)

In the West Bank, Israeli forces raided Kafr Malik, leading to clashes with Palestinians; 1 Palestinian was shot by a rubber-coated bullet, others suffered tear-gas related injuries. Israeli forces also razed hundreds of olive trees near Tubas. Elsewhere, Israeli forces demolished 1 residential structure and 1 agricultural structure in Sawahara al-Sharqiyya, seized 2 agricultural structures in Khan al-Ahmar, and demolished 1 mosque in a Bedouin community near Yatta. Palestinians protested the PA presidential decrees published on 1/11, which critics say serve to bolster the PA presidency at the expense of the judicial branch of government; the protests were held in front of the court complex in Ramallah. 18 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Jenin, Qabatiya, Madama, Sabastiyya, Hizma, Hebron, and Birzeit. (WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 1/27; HA, PCHR 1/28)

The PA announced it had decided to close the Allenby border crossing with Jordan to prevent the spread of new COVID-19 virus variants. The closure is in effect until 2/3. (WAFA 1/28)

After Israel refused to allow restoration work on the Dome of the Rock and other holy places in the Haram al-Sharif compound, Jordan’s foreign minister Ayman Safadi said Israel had agreed to retract its objections and allow the restoration work. (WAFA 1/27; WAFA 1/28)

Member of the Palestinian-Israeli Balad party Mtanes Shehadeh said after a meeting among members of the Arab Joint List that the list will likely be dissolved before the next election due to “fundamental political differences.” 1 of the reasons the Arab Joint List is having irreconcilable differences is that Mansour Abbas, the leader of the United Arab List, is seeking closer ties with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Another reason is the United Arab List’s more conservative values compared to the 3 other parties. Parties running for the Israeli elections have until 2/4 to submit their composition of candidates. (HA 1/25; HA, TOI 1/27)

Large protests broke out in Tripoli in Lebanon, leading to confrontations between police and protesters. 1 protester was reported dead and 226 people injured, including 26 police officers. The protesters started taking to the street on 1/25, demonstrating against the COVID-19-related lockdown measures and deteriorating living conditions. (AP 1/27; AP 1/28)

The new U.S. administration said it would freeze the sale of F-35 fighter jets to the UAE and munitions to Saudi Arabia to review the transactions. U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken said the practice of new administrations reviewing pending sales of weaponry is not uncommon. The sale of the F-35 fighter jets to the UAE was part of the Israel-U.S.-UAE normalization deal announced in August 2020. Secretary Blinken also spoke with the Israeli foreign minister Gabi Ashkenazi over the phone to discuss, among other issues, expanding the Trump administration’s normalization efforts. (AJ, AX, HA, HA, TOI 1/27)

At her confirmation hearing, Linda Thomas-Greenfield, U.S. president Joe Biden’s nominee for UN ambassador, said that she finds the BDS movement “unacceptable” and that it is on “the verge of antisemitism.” Thomas-Greenfield also said she was looking forward to combatting “anti-Israel bias” at the UN and hoped to see more countries join normalization deals with Israel and the U.S. (HA, MEE, TOI 1/27)