In the West Bank, Israeli settlers raided Jalud, setting fire to vehicles and throwing stones at homes. Israeli settlers also assaulted Palestinians and stole olive harvest in Khirbet Yanun....
-
December 1, 2023
-
November 30, 2023
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers uprooted 10 olive trees in Kafr ad-Dik. Israeli settlers with a military escort also raided al-Twana, assaulting Palestinians. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers...
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers raided Jalud, setting fire to vehicles and throwing stones at homes. Israeli settlers also assaulted Palestinians and stole olive harvest in Khirbet Yanun. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers raided a store in al-Zawiya, vandalizing it and steal items. Israeli settlers also threatened Palestinians in the al-Ka’abneh community near Jericho with death if they did not flee their village; the settlers threw stones at Palestinians, vandalized a vehicle and stole another. Meanwhile, Israeli settlers with military escort also attacked Palestinians in Qarawat Bani Hassan, stealing cash and vandalizing property. Israeli settlers also attacked Palestinian shepherds in the Masafer Yatta area and vandalized 50 olive trees in Qusra. Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Kafr Qaddum, injuring 2 with live ammunition and others with tear gas. Israeli forces also shot and injured 1 child during a riad in Sa’ir. East Jerusalem, Israeli forces sealed off the family homes in Sur Baher of 2 Palestinians who were killed after they shot and killed 3 Israelis in West Jerusalem on 11/30 in preparation for punitive demolitions. In Gaza, Israeli forces killed at least 180 Palestinians and injured more than 589 after the ceasefire expired at 7 a.m, including a family of 5 fleeing northern Gaza to the south on Salah al-Din Street and in bombardments on Rafah, al-Maghazi refugee camp. Israeli forces also bombed an ambulance outside of al-Shifa hospital, killing 2 paramedics. Elsewhere, Israeli forces attacked al-Awda Hostpial, causing damage and dropped leaflets in al-Qarara, Khuza’a, Abasan, and Bani Suheila, telling Palestinians to flee to Rafah. Rockets and mortar shells were fired at Israel, injuring 5 soldiers in Nirim. In Lebanon, Israeli forces shelled Hula, killing 2 civilians and 1 member of Hezbollah. Rockets were fired from Lebanon at Israel. In Yemen, Israeli forces reportedly attacked a missile warehouse in Saana. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, AP, AX, HA, NYT, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 12/1; AJ, UNOCHA 12/2)
More than 15,180 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, including at least 6,150 children and 4,000 women, and around 37,000 have been injured since 10/7. At least 7,000 people were missing in rubble, including 1,700 children. 242 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 63 children. More than 3,200 people have been injured. Israel reported that 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals have been killed and 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. 75 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since the ground invasion began on 10/27. Over 1.8 million Palestinians, nearly 80% of the population of Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7. There has been a complete electricity blackout in Gaza since 10/12 due to the Israel blockade. As of 11/18, at least 45,000 housing units had been destroyed and 233,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7, constituting 60% of all housing units. The Red Crescent said Israeli forces prevented aid trucks from entering Gaza via the Rafah crossing. The Palestinian Journalists Syndicate said 67 Palestinian journalists had been killed by Israel since 10/7. UNRWA reported a Hepatitis A outbreak at 1 of its shelters. (AJ, AJ, AX, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA 12/1; AJ 12/2)
Qatar, Egypt, and the U.S. said they were working on reinstating the ceasefire which expired at 7 a.m. Israel confirmed that 4 captives held by Hamas had died. The U.S. parroted Israel’s explanation for the not extending the ceasefire, saying that Hamas did not produce a list of captives for exchange. Israeli finance minister Bezalel Smotrich said he told Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to announce that Israel will not negotiate another ceasefire until all captives are released from Gaza. Hamas said it was Israel who undermined extending the ceasefire by rejecting 3 separate options presented to them by mediators, but that Israel had already decided to resume its attacks. The PA said it held the U.S. responsible for the resumption of Israeli attacks on Gaza. Israel said that Hamas still holds 137 captives, including 4 from before 10/7. During the temporary ceasefire 240 Palestinians, 107 children and 133 adults, including 65 18-year-olds and 68 women, were exchanged for 105 captives held by Hamas. 75% of the Palestinians were not convicted of a crime, most were arrested within the past year with 37 since 10/7. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AX, HA, NYT, NYT, NYT, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 12/1; HA 12/3)
Israel published a map of Gaza dividing it into hundreds of small parcels, saying it will notify Palestinian civilians to leave the parcels when Israel intends to attack them. (AJ, UNOCHA 12/1)
Addameer said conditions in Israeli prisons had deteriorated significantly since 10/7, noting that 6 Palestinians had died and that prisoners are denied medical care, electricity, family and lawyer visits, and sufficient food and water. The UN Human Rights Office in the occupied Palestinian territories expressed concern over the “massive rise in the number of Palestinians arrested and detained, the number of reports of ill-treatment and humiliations suffered by those in custody, and the reported failure to adhere to basic due process.” (AJ, HA, REU, UNOCHA 12/1)
Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir said Israel “must return to and crush Gaza with all our might.” (AJ 12/1)
U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken claimed that Israel had taken steps to minimize civilian causalities by telling Palestinians in Gaza where they can go to safe zones. Blinken also spoke with Israeli strategic affairs minister Ron Dermer calling on Israel to allow the same amount of aid into Gaza as during the ceasefire period. (HA 12/1; AX 12/2)
Reuters said Israel had informed Egypt, Jordan, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia that it intends to create a buffer zone in Gaza. The 4 countries reportedly opposed Israel’s plans. Reuters also reported that the U.S. has told Israel that it will impose visa bans on violent Israeli settlers in the coming weeks. (AJ, HA, REU 12/1; AJ, REU 12/2; HA 12/3)
1 person self-immolated outside of the Israeli consulate in Atlanta. Authorities said a Palestinian flag was recovered at the scene. The individual was said to be in critical condition. The Israeli consul general in Atlanta Anat Sultan-Dadon called the self-immolation an act of hate towards Israel. (AJ, HA, NYT 12/1; AJ 12/2)
The UN said Deputy Special Coordinator for the Middle East peace process Lynn Hastings would be replaced after Israel refused to renew her visa. UN secretary-general spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said “[w]e need to make sure that there’s agreement and everybody is ok with the people we send,” calling Israeli slander against Hastings “unacceptable.” (AJ, HA 12/1)
Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez spoke with Israeli war cabinet member Benny Gantz, saying Israel had a right to defend itself but said they civilian death toll in Gaza was unbearable. (AJ 12/1)
The Wall Street Journal reported that U.S. had provided Israel with BLU-09 bunker busting bombs weighing 2,000 pounds each. The Journal said the U.S. had provided Israel with 15,000 bombs and 57,000 artillery shells since 10/7. (AJ 12/1; AJ 12/2)
The United Auto Workers union in the U.S., representing 400,000 people, called for the U.S. to pressure Israel to end its war in Gaza. (AJ, HA 12/1)
The New York Times reported that staff at the World Food Programme were angered at Executive Director Cindy McCain’s timid response to the situation in Gaza and that she had compromised the neutrality of the organization by sharing a stage on 11/18 with former Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak as a prize named after her late husband John McCain was awarded to the “People of Israel.” (NYT 12/1)
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers uprooted 10 olive trees in Kafr ad-Dik. Israeli settlers with a military escort also raided al-Twana, assaulting Palestinians. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers blocked the entrance to Deir Balut. Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian man, claiming he had injured 2 Israeli soldiers in a car ramming near Atuf. Israeli forces also shot and killed a Palestinian outside of the Ofer Prison, injuring 4 others with live ammunition. Elsewhere, Israeli forces raided Tulkarm, damaging infrastructure and Palestinian property. Israeli forces also assaulted and detained 3 Palestinian farmers in Khirbet Yanun. Meanwhile, Israeli forces shot and injured 2 Palestinians during raids in Idhna and Arrabah. Israeli forces also demolished 5 homes and 6 water tanks in Farasin. Separately, Israeli forces seized a home in Karma, turning it into a military outpost. In the western part of Jerusalem, 2 Palestinian gunmen were killed after they opened fire at a bus station, killing 3 people and wounding 16 others. An Israeli civilian was killed by the soldier who killed the 2 Palestinians after the soldier mistook him for a Palestinian. The soldier was later arrested for the killing of the Israeli after a video circulated showing he had his hands raised in the air. Hamas said the 2 gunmen were members of its armed wing. Israeli forces subsequently arrested members of the families of the 2 Palestinians in Sur Baher. In Gaza, a Palestinian man succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces on 11/29 in Beit Hanun. Israeli forces shot and injured an Israeli journalist in southern Gaza. In Lebanon, Israel said it shot down an “aerial target” crossing from Lebanon. (AJ, AJ, AP, HA, HA, HA, HA, NYT, NYT, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/30; AP, HA 12/3; HA 12/4)
The Gaza Media Office did not update the casualty numbers, leaving the death toll from Israeli attacks at 15,000 as of 11/27, including 6,150 children and 4,000 women, and around 35,000 injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. At least 7,000 people were missing in rubble, including 1,700 children. 242 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 63 children. More than 3,200 people have been injured. Israel reported that 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals have been killed and 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. 75 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since the ground invasion began on 10/27. Over 1.8 million Palestinians, nearly 80% of the population of Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7. There has been a complete electricity blackout in Gaza since 10/12 due to the Israeli blockade. As of 11/18, at least 45,000 housing units had been destroyed and 233,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7, constituting 60% of all housing units. Israel said that at least 2,005 soldiers have been wounded since 10/7. Dozens of trucks carrying aid entered Gaza, including 7 trucks carrying fuel. 14 ambulances provided by Saudi Arabia also arrived in Gaza. Gaza’s Ministry of Health said hundreds of Palestinians needed to be evacuated to hospitals outside of Gaza for treatment. 30 people were evacuated to Egypt, including 9 wounded. 91 Palestinians returned to Gaza from Egypt and 31 medical staffers from the UAE and 2 UN staffers entered Gaza. (AJ, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA 11/30; UNOCHA 12/1)
The temporary ceasefire that was set to expire at 7 a.m. was extended for an additional day into 12/1. 30 Palestinian prisoners, 8 women and 22 children, were released from Israeli prisons on the seventh day of the prisoner exchange. 8 Israeli captives were released from Gaza. 2 Russian Israelis released on 10/29 were counted as released today to uphold the 1 to 3 prisoner release ratio that the parties had agreed to. Israel reportedly rejected a proposal from Hamas to exchange 7 captives and the bodies of 3 captives who had been killed in Israeli airstrikes. Egypt and Qatar said they continued efforts to extend the ceasefire by 2 days. Parents of Palestinians released in the prisoner exchanges called on the Red Cross to investigate the treatment of Palestinians after freed Palestinians said they were beaten and mistreated in prison. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, AP, AX, AX, HA, HA, HA, HA, NYT, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/30; AJ, AP, NYT 12/1)
U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken met with Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu and attended a meeting of the Israeli war cabinet. Blinken urged Israel to account “for humanitarian and civilian needs in southern Gaza before any military operation there,” and to curb settler violence in the West Bank. Blinken also reportedly expressed support for Israel’s continued war but warned that the longer it takes the more pressure there would be on Israel and the U.S. Blinken also met PA president Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, saying the 2 discussed the need for reforms in the PA to combat corruption, aid to Gaza, and settler violence. Abbas presented Blinken with a file documenting Israeli crimes in Gaza and the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and urged Blinken to support a lasting ceasefire. (AJ, AJ, AX, HA, NYT, REU, WAFA 11/30; AP 12/1; HA 12/4)
Israeli energy minister Israel Katz called on Israel to punish the families of the 2 Palestinian gunmen that killed 3 Israelis in Jerusalem, saying they should lose their East Jerusalem residency cards. National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir responded to the shooting by saying Israel will distribute more weapons to Israeli civilians. (AJ 11/30)
Higher Arab Monitoring Committee chairperson Mohammed Barakeh petitioned the Israeli High Court of Justice to end the Israel’s ban on protests in Palestinian communities in Israel. (HA 11/30; WAFA 12/2)
Qatari minister of state for international cooperation Lolwah al-Khater visited Gaza, meeting with Thomas White, the director of UNRWA affairs in Gaza. (AJ 11/30)
ICC chief prosecutor Karim Khan visited Israel, touring areas attacked by Hamas on 10/7. Khan was invited to visit Israel by Israeli families that have relatives held captive in Gaza. In an interview with Haaretz, Khan said he had “reason to believe” that Hamas had committed crimes under international law on 10/7. Khan also said he was looking into settler attacks in the West Bank and the large casualty numbers in Gaza. Palestinian rights organizations urged Khan to visit Gaza. (AJ 11/30; HA 12/2)
Spanish prime minister Pedro Sanchez said he doubted that Israel respected international humanitarian law and called Israel’s resumption of attacks in Gaza unacceptable. Israel subsequently summoned the Spanish ambassador for a reprimand and recalled its ambassador to Spain for consultations. (AJ, AJ, HA, REU, WAFA 11/30)
Jordan hosted an aid conference for Gaza. King Abdullah II condemned Israel for not allowing sufficient aid into Gaza. (REU 11/29; AJ, REU 11/30)
A +972 Magazine and Local Call investigation based on interviews with 7 current and former members of the Israeli intelligence community, Palestinian testimonies, data, and documentation from Gaza revealed that Israel had increased its attacks on what it calls “power targets,” which include private buildings, infrastructure, and high-rise blocks, to create a shock effect among civilians. According to the sources, the goal of bombing these civilian targets is to “lead civilians to put pressure on Hamas.” Several sources also said Israel has files that show its assessment of how many civilians will be killed in the bombing of these civilian targets. A source told the 2 publications that Israel had increased its permitted “collateral damage” from dozens when targeting a Hamas commander to hundreds and that Israel is fully aware how many civilians will be killed in its attacks. The sources also revealed that Israel use AI-based systems, such as Habsora, to identify targets, including the suspected homes of junior members of Hamas and Islamic Jihad. The investigation also said that Israel had broken from previous protocol by allowing the targeting of residential buildings without warning the residents, with Israeli Air Force chief of staff Omer Tishler saying that the “roof knocking” policy does not apply to war. Israel estimated that it had killed 1,000-3,000 Palestinian militants in Gaza out of at least 15,000 casualties. (+972, AJ 11/30)
The Washington Post reported that in late October Pope Francis told Israeli president Isaac Herzog in a phone call not “to respond to terror with terror”. (AJ, HA 11/30)
German and Belgian police searched homes of people who allegedly made social media posts in support of Hamas in Munster, Nordhorn, and Eupen. (AJ, HA 11/30)
Al Jazeera said its analysis of hundreds of speeches at the UN found that 55% of nations that have spoken on the issue of the situation in Gaza have called for a ceasefire, while 23% have called for a “pause,” and 22% did not call for either a pause or a ceasefire. (AJ 11/30)
The New York Times reported that Israeli military and intelligence officers knew of Hamas’ plans for Operation Al-Aqsa Flood but dismissed the attack as aspirational. The Israeli military obtained a 40-page document it called “Jericho Wall” outlining the plans for the operation, which the Times said was followed “with shocking precision.” The document showed that Hamas had intricate knowledge of Israeli military bases, prompting questions of whether it had informants in the Israeli military. (NYT 11/30; AP 12/1; NYT 12/2)
MSNBC cancelled The Mehdi Hasan Show, hosted by Mehdi Hasan, from 1/1/2024, saying it was making changes in preparation for the 2024 U.S. presidential elections. MSNBC was criticized for silencing voices critical of Israel with its cancelation of the show. Hasan was pulled off air for a period after the Israeli attacks started on 10/7. (AJ 11/30)