3 / 15521 Results
  • October 24, 2023

    In the West Bank, a Palestinian teenager succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces last week in Anabta. Israeli settlers assaulted a Palestinian man and threatened to demolish his family...

    Read more
  • August 30, 2023

    In the West Bank, 1 Palestinian man, described as a bystander, was killed during an exchange of fire between Palestinian militants and PA forces in Tulkarm. Palestinian militants threw an...

    Read more
  • August 17, 2021

    In the West Bank, Israeli settlers attacked a group of Palestinian children near Silat ad-Dhahr, catching, abducting, and torturing 1 for 1 hour and 30 minutes at the Hermesh settlement outpost...

    Read more

In the West Bank, a Palestinian teenager succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces last week in Anabta. Israeli settlers assaulted a Palestinian man and threatened to demolish his family’s home in the Masafer Yatta area. Israeli settlers also rammed a Palestinian vehicle in Ras Karkar, opening fire at the driver and passengers, injuring 3, including 2 with live ammunition. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers set fire to a Palestinian home in Talfit and vandalized 10 vehicles in Beit Iksa. Israeli forces shot and injured 3 Palestinians in Ras Karkar. 51 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Hebron, Ramallah, Bethlehem, Qalqilya, and Jenin, including Hamas member Adnan Hamarsheh. In East Jerusalem, Israeli authorities closed the Haram al-Sharif compound for Muslim worshippers, allowing Israeli settlers to tour the compound. Israeli forces also demolished a house in Jabel Mukaber and a commercial structure in Sur Baher. In Gaza, Israeli airstrikes killed 704 Palestinians, including 305 children. Israel said that its military has attacked 400 sites in Gaza and assassinated 3 members of Hamas. Rockets were fired at Israel, causing damage. Israel said it killed 10 militants who had tried to enter Zikim by sea. In Syria, Israeli forces fired artillery at what it said were militants near the Golan Heights. (AJ 10/23; AJ, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; WAFA 10/25)

The Gaza Ministry of Health said as of 5.pm. at least 5,791 Palestinians had been killed, including at least 3,600 women and children, and 16,297 had been injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. It is estimated that 1,500 were trapped in rubble. In addition, Israeli media reported that 1,500 Palestinian militants have been killed near Gaza. 95 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 27 children. More than 1,833 have been injured, including at least 360 with live ammunition. Israeli officials recorded no new fatalities, leaving the Israeli death toll at around 1,400 Israelis and foreign nationals; 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. The UN reported that over 1.4 million Palestinians, more than half the population in Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7 and that since 11 p.m. on 10/12 there has been a complete electricity blackout due to the Israeli blockade. At least 27,781 housing units have been destroyed and 150,000 have been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7. At least 45% of all housing units have been either destroyed or damaged in Israeli airstrikes. The Indonesian Hospital, the largest hospital in northern Gaza, lost power for a period of time overnight. 8 trucks carrying aid, including 5 with water, 2 with food, and 1 with medical supplies, entered Gaza (AJ 10/23; AJ, AJ, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; AJ 10/25)

25-year-old Palestinian Arafat Hamdan died in the Ofer Prison, a day after Omar Daraghmeh died at the Megiddo Prison. Hamdan was arrested by Israeli forces on 10/22. The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council urged the Red Cross to visit the 2 Israeli prisons and investigate the deaths. (AJ 10/23; HA, WAFA 10/24; WAFA, WAFA 10/25)

PA health minister Mai al-Kaila said hospitals in Gaza were no longer able to receive new patients, saying 12 hospitals were no longer operational due to Israeli airstrikes or lack of fuel and that 65 doctors and nurses have been killed by Israel since 10/7. (AJ 10/23)

Israel dropped leaflets in Gaza saying Israel will provide security and monetary rewards for information on where Israeli and foreign captives are being kept. (AJ 10/23; HA 10/24)

Israeli attorney general Galia Baharav-Miara approved an emergency regulation to allow Israel to detain members of Hamas for 90 days without access to a lawyer. (HA 10/24)

The New York Times published an investigation into what Israel called evidence that an errant rocket caused the explosion at al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City on 10/17, finding that the Israeli-presented video did not prove that a rocket fired by Islamic Jihad caused the explosion. The Times suggested that the video footage pointed to a projectile fired from the Nahal Oz area of Israel at Gaza as the cause. (NYT 10/24)

French president Emmanuel Macron visited PA president Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, who called for an immediate end to the Israeli aggression. Macron had visited Israel earlier in the day, meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Macron called for the international coalition fighting ISIS to also fight Hamas and said that 30 French nationals were killed by militants during Operation Al-Aqsa Flood. (AJ 10/23; AJ, AP, HA, WAFA 10/24; AP 10/25; HA 10/26)

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi spoke with PA foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki and Israeli foreign minister Eli Cohen, urging steps be undertaken to prevent further escalation and establish a lasting peace. (AJ, WAFA 10/24)

U.S. president Joe Biden spoke with Prime Minister Netanyahu, urging him to not interfere with humanitarian aid for Gaza. Biden also spoke with Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said the U.S. is not calling for a ceasefire as a “ceasefire right now really only benefits Hamas.” (AJ, HA 10/23; HA, NYT, REU 10/24)

UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres said the Hamas operation did not happen in a vacuum, referring to “56 years of suffocating occupation” and that the Hamas operation did not justify Israeli “collective punishment of the Palestinian people.” Israeli UN ambassador Gilad Erdan called on Guterres to resign. Foreign Minister Cohen canceled a meeting with Guterres. Israel also said it would refuse visas to UN officials. (AJ 10/23; AJ, AJ, HA, HA, NYT, WAFA 10/24; AJ, REU, WAFA 10/25; AP, WAFA 10/26)

At the UN Security Council, Foreign Minister al-Maliki called on the council to act to stop Israeli massacres of Palestinians, labelling them savage and systematic. Iranian UN ambassador Saeed Iravani said the U.S. was exacerbating the conflict by providing “unwavering support for the [Israeli] occupation.” Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry said the governments that remain silent on Israeli attacks on civilians are “participating in the crimes.” Saudi foreign minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud called for an immediate ceasefire and for Israel to lift its siege on Gaza. Foreign Minister Cohen rejected calls for a ceasefire. (AJ 10/23; HA, NYT, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; AP, AP 10/25)

NBC News reported that 24 U.S. soldiers suffered minor injuries in attacks on U.S. bases in Syria and Iraq on 10/18. (AJ 10/24)

Florida governor, and republican presidential candidate, Ron DeSantis, banned the group Students for Justice in Palestine, falsely claiming it supports terrorism. (HA 10/24; AJ 10/25)

The Council on American-Islamic Relations called the Biden administration’s refusal to call for a ceasefire “unacceptable.” (AJ 10/23; HA 10/25)

Palestine Legal said it has responded to 260 incidents of people in the U.S. being targeted for supporting Palestine, including people being fired and losing job opportunities. (AJ 10/24)

Japan donated $10 million in humanitarian aid to Gaza, including $7 million to UNRWA and $3 million to the International Committee of the Red Cross. (WAFA 10/24)

In the West Bank, 1 Palestinian man, described as a bystander, was killed during an exchange of fire between Palestinian militants and PA forces in Tulkarm. Palestinian militants threw an explosive device at Israeli soldiers who were escorting Israeli settlers to Joseph’s Tomb in Nablus, injuring 4. Israeli settlers assaulted 1 Palestinian man in Khirbet Umm Zuqah in the Jordan Valley. Israeli forces shot and injured 1 Palestinian man before arresting him, claiming he had attempted to ram Israeli soldiers near Hebron; his father at their home in Karma. Israeli forces also violently dispersed Palestinians in Beit Umar, causing tear-gas related injuries. Elsewhere, Israeli forces demolished an agricultural structure in Khirbet Tiba. 14 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Jericho, Tulkarm, and Ramallah. In East Jerusalem, an Israeli settler shot and killed 1 Palestinian minor in Bab a-Zahara, claiming he had stabbed 1 Israeli soldier. Israeli forces prevented the minor from receiving first aid; in a video the minor appeared unarmed before he was executed. Israeli settlers also toured the Haram al-Sharif compound. Israel forces made 1 Palestinian family demolish their own home in the Old City, displacing 4. 7 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids. (AJ, AJ, ALM, HA, HA, HA, MEE, REU, TOI, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 8/30; AP, MEE, MEMO, MEMO, PCHR, WAFA 8/31; UNOCHA 9/11)

The Coordination Administration for the Marches of Return in Gaza announced that it would be setting up tents east of Gaza City in preparation for the renewal of the Great March of Return protests. (HA, MEMO 8/31)

Israel denied the director of the Bisan Center for Research and Development, Ubai Aboudi, exit to Jordan via the Allenby crossing, summoning him for questioning. It was the third time that Israel has prevented Aboudi from traveling since 2022. Aboudi was scheduled to attend a meeting with UN human rights experts in Jordan. (Bisan, QDS, WAFA 9/5)

UNRWA made an appeal for $15.5 million to rebuild infrastructure, provide new schooling locations, and give cash assistance to Palestinian refugees who were displaced due to the fighting in Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp in Lebanon earlier this month. (AP 8/30)

PA foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki attended the opening of the Palestinian embassy to Tajikistan in Dushanbe. (WAFA 8/30)

Axios reported that the PA has provided Saudi Arabia with a list of possible deliverables in exchange for not opposing Saudi-Israeli normalization. PLO secretary-general Hussein al-Sheikh was reported to have given Saudi national security advisor Musaed bin Mohammed al-Aiban the list 3 months ago. The list reportedly included: changing the status of parts of Area C to Area B, for the U.S. to reopen its consulate to Palestinians in Jerusalem, for Saudi Arabia open a consulate to the PA in Jerusalem, for Saudi Arabia to resume funding of the PA, and for Israel to agree to resume final status negotiations under a clear timeline. Axios further reported that al-Sheikh, PA intelligence chief Majed Faraj, and PA president Mahmoud Abbas’ foreign policy advisor Majdi Khaldi met with U.S. assistant secretary of state for near eastern affairs Barbara Leaf last week in Jordan. Axios later reported that the meeting between the Palestinian officials and Leaf was tense, as Leaf dismissed the idea that the U.S. would support Palestine to obtain full UN membership. (AX 8/30; HA, MEE, WSJ 8/31; AX 9/3)

A report commissioned by the UN Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People found that the Israeli occupation of the West Bank is unlawful, calling on Israel to immediately and unconditionally withdraw, including evacuating Israeli settlers. (MEE 8/30)

Iranian foreign minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian condemned Israeli attacks in Syria during a press conference in Damascus, threatening retaliation. (HA 8/30)

In the West Bank, Israeli settlers attacked a group of Palestinian children near Silat ad-Dhahr, catching, abducting, and torturing 1 for 1 hour and 30 minutes at the Hermesh settlement outpost before Israeli soldiers picked him up after being notified by Palestinians. Israeli forces demolished 1 house under construction in Yatma. 7 Palestinians were arrested, including 5 during late-night raids in al-Bireh, Hebron, and Aqabat Jaber refugee camp, 1 at a checkpoint near Ya‘bad, and 1 at a checkpoint while seeking an entry permit to East Jerusalem for treatment of cancer. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided and shut down a ceremony for Palestinians who passed their high school exams in Isawiya, claiming it was sponsored by the PA. Israeli forces also demolished 1 nursery school and 1 house in Bayt Safafa. In Gaza, Israeli forces made incursions and leveled farmland east of Maghazi and al-Bureij refugee camp. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces opened fire at Palestinian fishermen within 3 nautical miles west of Jabalia; no injuries were reported. (AA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 8/17; AA 8/18; PCHR 8/19; HA 8/26; JP 8/31; AP 9/10)

PA firefighters joined Israeli firefighters to combat wildfires raging west and southwest of Jerusalem. Israeli defense minister Benny Gantz thanked Mahmoud Abbas for “his initiative” in a tweet. The PA sent 20 Palestinian firefighters and 4 fire engines to help combat the fires. President Abbas later received a phone call from Israeli public security minister Omer Bar Lev thanking Abbas for sending the firefighters. (HA, MEMO, WAFA 8/18)

PA president Mahmoud Abbas, PA prime minister Mohammed Shtayyeh, and foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki met with the Japanese foreign minister Toshimitsu Motegi in Ramallah. In a statement, the PA said Foreign Minister al-Maliki called on Japan to recognize the State of Palestine. (WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 8/17)

Issam Daalis, a member of Hamas’s political bureau, said that militant factions in Gaza will start violently resisting Israeli restrictions put on Gaza during May if those restrictions are not lifted by 8/21. The ultimatum was made after a meeting of senior Hamas members. Daalis also said that Egypt had asked Hamas to give Israel time and the Israeli prime minister Naftali Bennett had said some restrictions would be gradually lifted. (MEMO 8/18)

Israeli Palestinian lawmaker Ahmad Tibi from the Joint List filed a complaint against an Israeli soldier who prevented him and 3 other lawmakers from reaching al-Ibrahimi Mosque on 8/14 during a protest against Israeli renovations to the structure. Tibi further asserted that the soldier assaulted him during the incident. (HA 8/18)

In Syria, Israeli forces fired missiles at areas within Quneitra province from the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights. The extent of the damage or if there were any casualties was unclear. (AP, HA 8/17)