In the West Bank, Israeli settlers stole 3 residential tents in al-‘Awja and a tractor in Shaab al-Butum. Israeli settlers also uprooted around 100 olive, almond, and grape trees and destroyed 15...
-
November 26, 2023
-
June 8, 2022
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers re-erected a settlement outpost near al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya; the settlement outpost was dismantled by Israeli forces on 6/7. 18 Palestinians were arrested during...
-
November 28, 2021
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers with military escort harassed students on their way to school in al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya, preventing some from reaching the school. Israeli forces violently...
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers stole 3 residential tents in al-‘Awja and a tractor in Shaab al-Butum. Israeli settlers also uprooted around 100 olive, almond, and grape trees and destroyed 15 beehives in al-Khader. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers threw stones at Palestinian vehicles traveling near Haris, causing damage. Israeli residents at Meirav village near Jalbun prevented Palestinians from harvesting olives, during 1 of the 2 times a year they are allowed to harvest on the Israeli side of the separation wall on their privately-owned land; Israeli forces refused to remove the protesters leaving the Palestinians without access. Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian man during a raid in Yatma. Israeli forces also shot and injured 2 people during a raid in Dahariya. Elsewhere, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinians awaiting the prisoner exchange at Ofer Prison, injuring 2, including a child, with live ammunition and a journalist with a baton round; others suffered tear-gas related injuries. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided Palestinian homes in Sur Baher, Silwan, Isawiya, and al-Tur, warning families not to celebrate the release of their relatives in the prisoner exchange. In Gaza, Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian farmer and wounded another in Maghazi refugee camp. Israeli forces also opened fire at Palestinians near the Indonesian Hospital and al-Quds Hospital, injuring 7. In Syria, Israeli forces attacked the Damascus International Airport, putting it out of commission. (AJ 11/25; AJ, AP, HA, HA, HA, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/26)
The Gaza Media Office did not update the casualty numbers, leaving the comprehensive death toll as of 11/23 at around 14,800 Palestinians, including 6,000 children and 4,000 women, and around 35,000 injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. At least 7,000 people were missing in rubble, including 1,700 children. 231 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 56 children. More than 2,980 people have been injured. Israel reported that 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals have been killed and 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. 75 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since the ground invasion began on 10/27. Over 1.7 million Palestinians, more than 70% of the population of Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7. There has been a complete electricity blackout in Gaza since 10/12 due to the Israel blockade. As of 11/18, at least 45,000 housing units had been destroyed and 233,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7, constituting 60% of all housing units. 200 trucks carrying aid entered Gaza via the Rafah crossing. Several trucks entered northern Gaza distributing aid at a hospital and UNRWA shelters. (AJ 11/25; HA, UNOCHA, WAFA 11/26)
39 Palestinian prisoners, all boys, were released during the third prisoner exchange. 17 Hamas-held captives were released to Israel via the Rafah crossing, including 14 Israelis and 3 Thai nationals. 1 of the released captives holds U.S. citizenship, while another holds Russian citizenship. Israel said 1 of the released captives, an 84-year-old woman, was hospitalized in serious condition. She was later said to be improving. A relative of 3 children released from captivity said they were treated “more or less okay.” Hamas said it was seeking to extend the temporary ceasefire and called on U.S. president Joe Biden to end the Israeli war on Gaza. Biden said that the U.S. sought to extend the ceasefire, adding that the war ends when Hamas “no longer [is] in control of any portion of Gaza.” National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said Red Cross visitations for the remaining captives held in Gaza was part of the ceasefire agreement and that the U.S. expects visitations to start on 11/27. (AJ 11/25; AJ, AX, HA, HA, HA, NYT, NYT, NYT, NYT, NYT, NYT, UNOCHA, WAFA 11/26; HA 11/27)
Hamas said 4 senior military officers had been killed before the ceasefire, including Northern Gaza Brigade commander Ahmed al-Ghandour. (AJ 11/25; HA, NYT 11/26)
UN World Food Programme director Cindy McCain warned that Gaza was “on the brink of famine.” (AJ 11/27; WAFA 11/28)
The Israeli military said it had stolen $1.33 million worth of cash in Israeli shekels, Iraqi dinars, Jordanian dinars, and U.S. dollars from homes in Gaza. (AJ 11/25)
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited Israeli soldiers in Gaza, saying Israel has 3 goals: “to eliminate Hamas, to bring back all our hostages, and to ensure that Gaza does not pose a threat to the State of Israel again.” (AJ 11/25; HA, NYT 11/26)
German president Frank-Walter Steinmeier met with Israeli president Isaac Herzog in Jerusalem, saying “[w]e stand in solidarity with Israel. It is not only with Israel as a victim of terror. Our solidarity is also with the Israel that defends itself, that fights against an existential threat.” Steinmeier later said that Germany will donate $7.5 million to rebuild an art gallery destroyed on 10/7 in Kibbutz Be’eri. (HA 11/26; HA 11/27)
Israeli war cabinet member Benny Gantz of the National Unity party said that if the government votes to distribute coalition funds instead of adding to the war effort his party will vote against the budget and consider its next steps. (HA 11/26)
Jordanian foreign minister Ayman Safadi said that he hopes an upcoming meeting of officials from Mediterranean countries scheduled for next week will convince European nations that a permanent ceasefire is needed, not only pauses. (AJ, HA 11/26)
U.S. senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said U.S. lawmakers would vote on a $14 billion military aid package to Israel next week. Senators Bernie Sanders (D-VT), Peter Welch (D-VT), and Chris Murphy (D-CT) had all suggested that U.S. military aid to Israel could be conditional on Israel following international law. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan also said the Biden administration was considering conditioning the U.S. aid. Sullivan later said it was not something the White House would do. (AJ 11/25; HA 11/28)
The Biden administration had reportedly asked the U.S. Senate on 10/20 to lift nearly all restrictions on Israeli access to U.S. weapons. (AJ 11/26)
Human Rights Watch said that the explosion that killed and injured upwards of 500 Palestinians at al-Ahli Hospital resulted from “a rocket-propelled munition, such as those commonly used by Palestinian armed groups” but added further investigation was needed to determine the perpetrator. Other investigations have pointed to Israel as the likely perpetrator. Human Rights Watch also said it could not corroborate the death toll, saying it appeared “out of proportion with the damage visible at the site.” (HA 11/26)
Russia condemned the Israeli attack on Damascus International Airport. (AJ, HA 11/27)
Pirates from Somalia attempted to hijack the Israeli-owned Central Park oil tanker off the coast of Yemen. It was initially reported that the Yemeni Houthi government was behind the attempt. The pirates were arrested by U.S. forces. (AJ 11/25; HA, HA, NYT 11/26; AJ, AJ, AJ, AP 11/27)
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers re-erected a settlement outpost near al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya; the settlement outpost was dismantled by Israeli forces on 6/7. 18 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Ni‘lin, al-Mughayyir, Bayt Rima, Balata refugee camp, Rujeib, Bayt Dajan, Ya‘bad, Jenin, Tulkarm, Tubas, Fawwar refugee camp, and Beit Fajjar. In East Jerusalem, Israeli authorities took measurements for the demolition of a 4-story apartment building in Silwan. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces arrested 2 Palestinian fishermen and seized their boat within the fishing zone. (PCHR, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 6/8; PCHR 6/9; UNOCHA 6/17)
The Israeli supreme court rejected a petition for a retrial in a case where the Israeli settler group Ateret Cohanim allegedly purchased 3 buildings in the Old City from the Greek Orthodox church, allowing the settler organization to evict the Palestinian tenants. The Greek Orthodox church called the ruling “unfair” and without “any legal logical basis.” The EU voiced concern about the supreme court ruling. (HA, YNET 6/9; MEMO, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 6/10; MEMO, WAFA 6/11)
Israel extended its antiquities authority to the West Bank. The Israel Antiquities Authority will replace the Coordinator on Government Activities in the Territories in managing archeological sites in the West Bank. (HA 6/8)
Speaking, via phone link at a conference on the holy sites in Jerusalem, dubbed “Property Documentation and the Historical Status of the Holy al-Aqsa Mosque,” PA president Mahmoud Abbas said that the PA would not accept any changes to the status quo of the holy sites in Jerusalem, saying all Islamic and Christian holy sites are Palestinian. (WAFA, WAFA 6/8; WAFA 6/9)
Israeli media reported that members of a Liberian delegation in Israel headed by minister of state for presidential affairs Nathaniel McGill told Israeli journalists that Liberia will open a trade office in Jerusalem that eventually will become Liberia’s embassy to Israel. The delegation was meeting Israeli officials, including president Isaac Herzog. (ALM 6/9)
Axios reported that last week, Israel refused a proposal for a White House summit with the PA, U.S., Egypt, and Jordan to create a political horizon for ending the occupation. (AX 6/8)
Axios also reported that the White House is sending the newly appointed assistant secretary of state for Near East affairs, Barbara Leaf, to Israel and Ramallah for meetings with Israeli and Palestinian officials. (AX 6/8)
Haaretz reported that the EU commission’s anti-fraud office will not open an investigation into the 6 Palestinian rights organizations Israel deemed terrorist organizations in October 2021, saying that it had not seen sufficient evidence from Israel against the 6 organizations. EU diplomats told Haaretz that the evidence handed to EU countries by Israel was not compelling and did not meet the threshold of proof. (HA 6/8)
In a visit to the Buraq Wall/Western Wall, Bosnia and Herzegovina parliament speaker Dragan Čović told reporters that the Old City is part of Israel. (JP 6/10)
The World Bank approved a grant of $30 million for PA reforms in transparency, inclusion, and green economy and a $7 million grant for social services and online employment oppounities for Palestinians in Gaza. (WAFA 6/8)
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers with military escort harassed students on their way to school in al-Lubban ash-Sharqiya, preventing some from reaching the school. Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinians and Israeli activists protesting a visit by Israeli president Isaac Herzog to Hebron (see below). Israeli forces also demolished water pipelines supplying Atuf with water. Elsewhere, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Ramallah, injuring 1 with a rubber-coated bullet. 3 Palestinians were arrested, including 2 during late-night raids in Kaubar and al-Arroub refugee camp, and 1 near al-Jaba‘. In East Jerusalem, 1 Palestinian was arrested during a house raid in Isawiya. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire at agricultural lands east of Dayr al-Balah; no injuries were reported. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces opened fire at Palestinian fishermen northwest of Khan Yunis; no injuries were reported. (AP, HA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/28; PCHR 12/2)
President Herzog visited Hebron for a Hanukkah ceremony in al-Ibrahimi Mosque, drawing condemnation and protest from Palestinians and Israeli left-wing activists. The PA foreign ministry said that President Herzog was breaking international law and “embracing the settlement enterprise.” The religious advisor to PA president Mahmoud Abbas, Mahmoud Habbash, compared Herzog’s participation in the ceremony with that of Ariel Sharon visiting the Haram al-Sharif compound in 2000. The OIC, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Arab League also issued statements of condemnations criticizing the visit. (HA, MEE 11/26; AP, HA, WAFA, WAFA 11/28; +972, MEMO, MEMO, WAFA 11/29; ALM, MEMO 11/30)
The Israeli high court of justice denied Palestinian appeals against demolitions of 58 homes in Wadi Yasoul in Silwan, which would lead to the displacement of 725 Palestinians. (HA 11/28; WAFA 11/29; PCHR 12/2)
1 Palestinian prisoner held on administrative detention ended his hunger strike after Israel set a date for his release. The man had been hunger-striking for 49 days and was admitted to a prison hospital on 11/24 as his condition deteriorated. (WAFA 11/28)
President Abbas extended the COVID-19-related state of emergency for another 30 days. The state of emergency has been in effect since March 2020, when the pandemic hit Palestine. (WAFA 11/28)
Israel’s and the UK’s foreign ministers Yair Lapid and Liz Truss wrote an article in the Telegraph, saying the 2 countries will work together in preventing Iran from getting nuclear weapons. Foreign Minister Lapid was in London meeting UK officials before heading to France for meetings on 11/29. The article was published 1 day before talks began in Vienna to revamp efforts to reenter a new Iran nuclear agreement. (DT, GDN, REU 11/28; AJ, DT, HA, JP, TOI 11/29)
Japan donated $10 million to the PA in support of its budget and Cyprus donated $113,000 to the UNRWA. (WAFA, WAFA 11/28; MEMO 11/29)