In the West Bank, 1 Palestinian child succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces on 10/30 in Zawata. Israeli settlers set fire to vehicles and buildings in Deir Sharaf, set fire to olive...
-
November 2, 2023
-
October 24, 2023
In the West Bank, a Palestinian teenager succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces last week in Anabta. Israeli settlers assaulted a Palestinian man and threatened to demolish his family...
-
June 23, 2020
In the West Bank, Israeli forces shot and killed 1 Palestinian at the Container checkpoint near Bethlehem. Israeli forces claimed that he had attempted to ram Israeli soldiers with his car, a...
In the West Bank, 1 Palestinian child succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces on 10/30 in Zawata. Israeli settlers set fire to vehicles and buildings in Deir Sharaf, set fire to olive trees in Jit, and threw stones on a road between the 2 towns, causing damage. Israeli settlers also attacked Palestinian homes in Shaab al-Butum in the Masafer Yatta area, causing damage. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers attacked a motorist in the Jordan Valley, destroying his car; the man was able to escape. 1 Israeli settler wearing an Israeli military uniform was shot and killed near Beit Lid. Israeli forces shot and killed 4 Palestinians, including 1 child, during raids in Qalqilya, Jenin, and al-Bireh. Israeli forces also shot and injured 9 Palestinians during raids in Huwwara, Jenin, al-Bireh, and Qalqilya. Elsewhere, Israeli forces assaulted 1 Palestinian man in Salfit. Israeli forces also demolished 6 vending stalls in Jalamah. 65 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Ramallah, Bethlehem, and Hebron. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided the Makassed Hospital, arresting patients from Gaza. In Gaza, Israeli military spokesperson Daniel Hagari said Israel forces had surrounded Gaza City completely. At least 256 Palestinians were killed and 671 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza. Israeli airstrikes also killed Palestine TV journalist Mohammed Abu Hatab and 10 members of his family in what Palestine TV called a deliberate assassination of its employee. UNRWA said 4 UNRWA shelters were hit by Israeli airstrikes, killing 23 displaced Palestinians. 2 Palestinians were wounded by machine gun fire from an Israeli tank in al-Quds Hospital in Gaza City. Hamas said it hit 2 Israeli tanks with anti-tank shells in northern Gaza. 2 Israeli soldiers were killed in Gaza. Rockets were fired at Israel. In Lebanon, Hezbollah said it had destroyed 19 Israeli military sites along the Blue Line. Hamas said it fired 12 rockets at Israel from Lebanon, causing damage in Kiryat Shemona. Israel reportedly killed 5 civilians in strikes on Wadi al-Sulouqi and Meiss Ej Jabal. (AJ, AJ, AJ, HA, HA, NYT, NYT, NYT, NYT, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/2; AJ, AJ, AP, AP, REU, WAFA 11/3)
The Ministry of Health in Gaza said at least 9,061 Palestinians had been killed, including around 5,980 women and children, and 22,911 had been injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. At least 1,800, including 940 children, have been reported missing. 134 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 37 children. More than 2,274 have been injured. Israel said 20 soldiers had been killed in Gaza since its ground invasion, leaving the Israeli death toll at around 1,400 Israelis, including foreign nationals, since 10/7. 5,431 Israelis have been injured. The UN reported that over 1.5 million Palestinians, more than half the population in Gaza, had been displaced since 10/7. There has been a complete electricity blackout in Gaza since 10/12 due to the Israel blockade. As of 10/23, at least 27,781 housing units have been destroyed and 150,000 have been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7. The number is likely much higher given the lack of recent data. For the second day in a row, around 400 foreign passport holders and about 60 injured Palestinians were evacuated to Egypt via the Rafah crossing. 102 truckloads of humanitarian aid entered Gaza. UNRWA said 72 of its employees have been killed since 10/7. (HA 11/1; AJ, AP, AP, HA, NYT, NYT, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 11/2)
41 Palestinians fled their homes in Khirbet Zanuta due to Israeli settler attacks. 141 Palestinians from the same village fled on 10/28. (UNOCHA 11/2)
PA president Mahmoud Abbas spoke with Pope Francis, discussing Israeli attacks on Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank. (WAFA 11/2)
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu called on Palestinian civilians to move south from northern Gaza, despite Israeli forces having seized control of the 2 main roads leading from north to south. Israeli forces have been reportedly opening fire at civilians traveling on the roads. (AJ 11/2)
The Israeli security cabinet decided to deduct funds from the PA tax revenue that is used in Gaza, in addition to the funds it deducts from the PA that are said to be used for paying stipends to the families of Palestinian prisoners and Palestinians killed by Israel. The cabinet also decided to no longer allow Palestinians from Gaza to work in Israel and to send those held in the Israeli internment camps back to Gaza. Interior Minister Moshe Arbel approved a memorandum making it easier for Israel to revoke the citizenship for people accused of supporting, inciting, or identifying with a terrorist organization. Arbel also transferred $50.4 million to 67 Palestinian municipalities in Israel after the funds had been frozen by Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich since July. Israeli military chief of staff Herzl Halevi said Israel would allow fuel to enter Gaza to keep hospitals running. However, Prime Minister Netanyahu’s office rejected the move. (AJ, HA, HA, HA, REU, REU 11/2; AJ, AP, HA, HA 11/3)
Haaretz reported that the Israeli military is setting up a program to train and arm Israeli settlers to guard Israeli settlements. The military said it was willing to overlook criminal records in hiring the settlers to guard the settlements. (HA 11/2)
Germany banned all activities by Hamas and the Palestinian prisoner advocacy group Samidoun. (AJ, AJ, AP, HA, REU 11/2)
The Bahraini parliament said the country had recalled its ambassador to Israel and frozen economic ties. Israel’s ambassador to Bahrain left Manama shortly after. The Bahraini government later confirmed it had recalled the ambassador but did not mention the freezing of economic ties. (AJ, AJ, HA, REU 11/2; AP 11/3)
UN secretary general Antonio Guterres said in a report issued by the UN that Israel has used disproportionate force in the West Bank in recent years, saying some killings “appeared to amount to extrajudicial executions.” (AP 11/3)
The UN Refugee Agency said it would cut the number of Palestinian refugee families that receive cash assistance in Lebanon by a third from next year, citing budget restraints. (AP 11/2)
Chilean president Gabriel Boric met with U.S. president Joe Biden at the White House. After the meeting Boric said the Israeli response to Al Aqsa Floods operation on 10/7 had been disproportionate and unacceptable and condemned both Hamas and Israel. Boric, who recalled Chile’s ambassador to Israel on 10/31, said he would not relay what Biden had said to him about the conflict. (HA 11/2; AJ 11/3)
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a bill that would provide $14.3 billion in aid to Israel and deduct the same amount from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The bill was unlikely to pass in the Senate due to the deduction in funds from the IRS and the lack of funding for Ukraine. Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) said the civilian deaths in Gaza were unacceptable and called on Israel to “immediately reconsider its strategy and shift to a more deliberate and proportionate counterterrorism campaign.” Senator Dick Durbin (D-IL) called for a ceasefire, among the U.S. senators to do so. Vice President Kamala Harris said the U.S. will not condition its support for Israel. (AJ, AP, HA, NYT, REU, REU, REU 11/2; AJ, AJ 11/3)
Irish president Michael Higgins called for an immediate ceasefire. (HA 11/2)
The American Civil Liberties Union called on 650 university leaders to reject the targeting of pro-Palestinian groups for exercising their right to free speech. (HA 11/2)
Sweden said it would donate an additional $13.4 million to Gaza on top of its $50 million in aid to Palestinians for 2023. Norway said it will increase its support to Gaza via UNICEF by $2 million. Saudi Arabia said King Salman had donated $8 million and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman had donated $5 million to a relief campaign for Palestinians in Gaza. (AP, NYT 11/2)
In the West Bank, a Palestinian teenager succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces last week in Anabta. Israeli settlers assaulted a Palestinian man and threatened to demolish his family’s home in the Masafer Yatta area. Israeli settlers also rammed a Palestinian vehicle in Ras Karkar, opening fire at the driver and passengers, injuring 3, including 2 with live ammunition. Elsewhere, Israeli settlers set fire to a Palestinian home in Talfit and vandalized 10 vehicles in Beit Iksa. Israeli forces shot and injured 3 Palestinians in Ras Karkar. 51 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Hebron, Ramallah, Bethlehem, Qalqilya, and Jenin, including Hamas member Adnan Hamarsheh. In East Jerusalem, Israeli authorities closed the Haram al-Sharif compound for Muslim worshippers, allowing Israeli settlers to tour the compound. Israeli forces also demolished a house in Jabel Mukaber and a commercial structure in Sur Baher. In Gaza, Israeli airstrikes killed 704 Palestinians, including 305 children. Israel said that its military has attacked 400 sites in Gaza and assassinated 3 members of Hamas. Rockets were fired at Israel, causing damage. Israel said it killed 10 militants who had tried to enter Zikim by sea. In Syria, Israeli forces fired artillery at what it said were militants near the Golan Heights. (AJ 10/23; AJ, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; WAFA 10/25)
The Gaza Ministry of Health said as of 5.pm. at least 5,791 Palestinians had been killed, including at least 3,600 women and children, and 16,297 had been injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. It is estimated that 1,500 were trapped in rubble. In addition, Israeli media reported that 1,500 Palestinian militants have been killed near Gaza. 95 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 27 children. More than 1,833 have been injured, including at least 360 with live ammunition. Israeli officials recorded no new fatalities, leaving the Israeli death toll at around 1,400 Israelis and foreign nationals; 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. The UN reported that over 1.4 million Palestinians, more than half the population in Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7 and that since 11 p.m. on 10/12 there has been a complete electricity blackout due to the Israeli blockade. At least 27,781 housing units have been destroyed and 150,000 have been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7. At least 45% of all housing units have been either destroyed or damaged in Israeli airstrikes. The Indonesian Hospital, the largest hospital in northern Gaza, lost power for a period of time overnight. 8 trucks carrying aid, including 5 with water, 2 with food, and 1 with medical supplies, entered Gaza (AJ 10/23; AJ, AJ, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; AJ 10/25)
25-year-old Palestinian Arafat Hamdan died in the Ofer Prison, a day after Omar Daraghmeh died at the Megiddo Prison. Hamdan was arrested by Israeli forces on 10/22. The Palestinian Human Rights Organizations Council urged the Red Cross to visit the 2 Israeli prisons and investigate the deaths. (AJ 10/23; HA, WAFA 10/24; WAFA, WAFA 10/25)
PA health minister Mai al-Kaila said hospitals in Gaza were no longer able to receive new patients, saying 12 hospitals were no longer operational due to Israeli airstrikes or lack of fuel and that 65 doctors and nurses have been killed by Israel since 10/7. (AJ 10/23)
Israel dropped leaflets in Gaza saying Israel will provide security and monetary rewards for information on where Israeli and foreign captives are being kept. (AJ 10/23; HA 10/24)
Israeli attorney general Galia Baharav-Miara approved an emergency regulation to allow Israel to detain members of Hamas for 90 days without access to a lawyer. (HA 10/24)
The New York Times published an investigation into what Israel called evidence that an errant rocket caused the explosion at al-Ahli Arab Hospital in Gaza City on 10/17, finding that the Israeli-presented video did not prove that a rocket fired by Islamic Jihad caused the explosion. The Times suggested that the video footage pointed to a projectile fired from the Nahal Oz area of Israel at Gaza as the cause. (NYT 10/24)
French president Emmanuel Macron visited PA president Mahmoud Abbas in Ramallah, who called for an immediate end to the Israeli aggression. Macron had visited Israel earlier in the day, meeting with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. Macron called for the international coalition fighting ISIS to also fight Hamas and said that 30 French nationals were killed by militants during Operation Al-Aqsa Flood. (AJ 10/23; AJ, AP, HA, WAFA 10/24; AP 10/25; HA 10/26)
Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi spoke with PA foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki and Israeli foreign minister Eli Cohen, urging steps be undertaken to prevent further escalation and establish a lasting peace. (AJ, WAFA 10/24)
U.S. president Joe Biden spoke with Prime Minister Netanyahu, urging him to not interfere with humanitarian aid for Gaza. Biden also spoke with Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said the U.S. is not calling for a ceasefire as a “ceasefire right now really only benefits Hamas.” (AJ, HA 10/23; HA, NYT, REU 10/24)
UN secretary-general Antonio Guterres said the Hamas operation did not happen in a vacuum, referring to “56 years of suffocating occupation” and that the Hamas operation did not justify Israeli “collective punishment of the Palestinian people.” Israeli UN ambassador Gilad Erdan called on Guterres to resign. Foreign Minister Cohen canceled a meeting with Guterres. Israel also said it would refuse visas to UN officials. (AJ 10/23; AJ, AJ, HA, HA, NYT, WAFA 10/24; AJ, REU, WAFA 10/25; AP, WAFA 10/26)
At the UN Security Council, Foreign Minister al-Maliki called on the council to act to stop Israeli massacres of Palestinians, labelling them savage and systematic. Iranian UN ambassador Saeed Iravani said the U.S. was exacerbating the conflict by providing “unwavering support for the [Israeli] occupation.” Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry said the governments that remain silent on Israeli attacks on civilians are “participating in the crimes.” Saudi foreign minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud called for an immediate ceasefire and for Israel to lift its siege on Gaza. Foreign Minister Cohen rejected calls for a ceasefire. (AJ 10/23; HA, NYT, WAFA, WAFA 10/24; AP, AP 10/25)
NBC News reported that 24 U.S. soldiers suffered minor injuries in attacks on U.S. bases in Syria and Iraq on 10/18. (AJ 10/24)
Florida governor, and republican presidential candidate, Ron DeSantis, banned the group Students for Justice in Palestine, falsely claiming it supports terrorism. (HA 10/24; AJ 10/25)
The Council on American-Islamic Relations called the Biden administration’s refusal to call for a ceasefire “unacceptable.” (AJ 10/23; HA 10/25)
Palestine Legal said it has responded to 260 incidents of people in the U.S. being targeted for supporting Palestine, including people being fired and losing job opportunities. (AJ 10/24)
Japan donated $10 million in humanitarian aid to Gaza, including $7 million to UNRWA and $3 million to the International Committee of the Red Cross. (WAFA 10/24)
In the West Bank, Israeli forces shot and killed 1 Palestinian at the Container checkpoint near Bethlehem. Israeli forces claimed that he had attempted to ram Israeli soldiers with his car, a claim his family dismissed as he was on his way to pick up his sister for her wedding. Later, Israeli forces violently dispersed protests in the deceased man’s hometown of Abu Dis, leading to tear-gas and rubber-coated bullet related injuries. Israeli forces did not provide any medical attention to the man for at least 30 minutes after he was shot. Israeli settlers attacked 3 Palestinians in Ras Karkar and sealed of a main road between Nablus and Jenin. Elsewhere, settlers set fire to Palestinian-owned agricultural lands planted with almond trees in Burqa. Israeli forces assaulted 2 Palestinians in Hebron. Israeli forces also seized historical artifacts in Bayt Umar and equipment from a smith workshop in al-Sawahara. 7 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Jericho, Bethlehem, Kobar, and Qalandia. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces demolished 1 Palestinian house in Silwan. 10 Palestinians were arrested by Israeli forces in Silwan and Issawiyya during late-night raids. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire on Palestinian shepherds east Bayt Hanun; no injuries were reported. In Israel, about 1,500 people protested against annexation of parts of the West Bank; among the speakers at the protest were several retired Israeli generals. (AJ, HA, REU, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 6/23; AJ, HA, PCHR, TOI 6/24; PCHR 6/25)
Israeli defense minister Benny Gantz said at a press briefing that Israel “won’t keep waiting for the Palestinians” in relation to peace talks and annexation. He further stated, “We won’t get into the Palestinians’ deep shit . . . The Palestinians continue to reject dialogue and to remain in their ‘deep shit.’” (HA 6/23)
The Syrian army said that Israel conducted air strikes in at least 3 different areas of Syria, killing 2 soldiers and wounding 4 others. According to the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, 7 people were killed in the attacks. (AJ, HA, REU, TOI 6/23; AJ 6/24)
Senior aides to U.S. president Donald Trump began discussing Israel’s plan to annex parts of the West Bank. (REU 6/23)
In a report submitted to the UN Security Council 1 day ahead of its biannual meeting on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the UN secretary general António Guterres called on Israel to abandon its annexation plans and called annexation a “most serious violation of international law.” (AJ 6/23)