In the West Bank, a Palestinian succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces during a raid in Ras Karkar last week. Israeli settlers posing as Israeli forces made 3 Palestinian families...
-
October 30, 2023
-
February 5, 2021
In the West Bank, 1 Israeli settler shot 1 Palestinian man near Ras Karkar; according to Israeli authorities, the Palestinian man was unarmed and was shot at a settlement outpost near Ras Karkar;...
-
January 9, 2020
In the West Bank, Israeli forces dismantled and seized a shack in Ras Karkar, and handed a punitive demolition order for a house in Jenin. 6 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in...
In the West Bank, a Palestinian succumbed to injuries sustained from Israeli forces during a raid in Ras Karkar last week. Israeli settlers posing as Israeli forces made 3 Palestinian families demolish their residential tents on the outskirts of Hizma. Israeli forces shot and killed 4 Palestinians during a raid in Jenin, 9 were injured, including 1 in a drone strike on a house. Israeli forces also shot and killed a Palestinian during a raid in Yatta. Elsewhere, Israeli forces shot and injured 44 Palestinians during raids in Beita, Hebron, Zawata, Safa, al-Ram, Dura al-Qara’, ‘Anata, and Dheisheh refugee camp. 60 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Ramallah, Silwad, Hebron, Nablus, Bethlehem, Tulkarm, and Qalqilya. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian in Shaykh Jarrah, claiming he had stabbed and injured a police officer. In Gaza, Israeli airstrikes killed at least 304 Palestinians. Israel said it had carried out 600 airstrikes in the past 24 hours. Hamas said it had repelled Israeli advances near Gaza City, forcing Israeli tanks and bulldozers to retreat. Israel hit the Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital, causing extensive damage. Near Lebanon, an Israeli soldier was killed and 2 others injured when an Israeli tank rolled over them. Israel attacked several places in Lebanon; 3 mortar shells were fired at Israel. In Syria, Israeli forces carried out airstrikes, saying they had hit targets that fired rockets toward Israel. (AP 10/29; AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, HA, NYT, NYT, NYT, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 10/30; HA, NYT 10/31)
The Gaza Ministry of Health said at least 8,309 Palestinians have been killed, including around 5,000 women and children, and 21,048 have been injured in Israeli airstrikes on Gaza since 10/7. 1,800 Palestinians, including 940 children, have been reported missing. In addition, Israeli media reported that 1,500 Palestinian militants have been killed near Gaza. 122 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 33 children. More than 2,208 have been injured. Israeli officials recorded no new fatalities, leaving the Israeli death toll at around 1,400 Israelis and foreign nationals; 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. The UN reported that over 1.4 million Palestinians, more than half the population in Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7 and that since 11 p.m. on 10/12 there has been a complete electricity blackout due to the Israeli blockade. As of 10/23, at least 27,781 housing units had been destroyed and 150,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7. At least 45% of all housing units have been either destroyed or damaged in Israeli airstrikes. UNRWA said 10 of its staff have been killed in the past 3 days, bringing the total number of UNRWA staff killed by Israel to 63. 26 trucks carrying aid to Gaza entered via the Rafah crossing. The WHO said it had not been able to resupply al-Shifa and al-Quds hospitals because of the risk of Israeli airstrikes. The Palestinian Red Crescent Society said an Israeli airstrike damaged its warehouse in Gaza City. Israel closed off the water to Gaza again after reopening 2 water lines in the past week. (AJ, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA 10/30)
Hamas released a video of 3 Israeli captives, calling on Israel to facilitate their release. Israel said it had rescued 1 captive from Hamas during an operation in Gaza. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, HA, NYT, REU, REU 10/30)
Al Jazeera journalist Youmna ElSayed said her family had received a phone call from Israel warning them to flee south from Gaza City. Al Jazeera condemned the threat against their journalist in a statement, saying “Israel’s actions continue with impunity as they attempt to silence the messenger.” (AJ, AJ 10/30)
PA foreign minister Riyad al-Maliki met with Cypriot foreign minister Constantinos Kombos, discussing the need for an immediate ceasefire. (WAFA 10/30)
Israeli media reported that Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich had sent a letter to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, informing him that monthly payments to the PA delivering the PA’s tax revenue had stopped. (AJ 10/30)
A draft document written by the Israeli Ministry of Intelligence said Israel may try to forcefully displace Palestinians in Gaza to Egypt. 2 other options in the document included that Israel hands control of Gaza to the PA or that is establish “local Arab rule” by Palestinians in Gaza. Israeli sources verified the authenticity of the document but said the government is not expected to debate the proposals. (HA 10/30; AP 10/31)
The Israeli High Court of Justice denied a petition by 3 Israeli organizations to remove a temporary order allowing worsening conditions for Palestinian prisoners. The judges said “[t]he assessment of human rights violations in times of war is not comparable to such assessments in peaceful situations.” (HA 10/30)
Al-Haq, al-Mazan, and the Palestinian Centre for Human Rights urged ICC prosecutor Karim Khan to issue arrest warrants for “Israeli authorities and military personnel.” (AJ 10/30; WAFA 10/31)
At the UN Security Council, PA ambassador to the UN Riyad Mansour criticized the international community for not forcing Israel to stop its bombing of Gaza, saying “they are besieged and bombed with nowhere safe to go.” Israeli UN ambassador Gilad Erdan wore a yellow Star of David, resembling the markings forced on Jewish people by Nazi Germany, saying “Never Again.” Dani Dayan, the chairperson of the Israeli Holocaust Remembrance Center, Yad Vashem, said Erdan’s actions “disgraces both Holocaust victims and Israel.” UNRWA commissioner-general Phillippe Lazzarini told the Security Council that a ceasefire was a “matter of life and death for millions,” and charged Israel with collective punishment. (AJ, NYT, WAFA 10/30; AP, AP, HA, HA, HA, WAFA 10/31; HA 11/1)
Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant said Hamas will “die fighting” or “surrender without any conditions.” (AJ 10/30)
U.S. National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby said the U.S. does not support a ceasefire, reiterating the White House’s position that a ceasefire would only benefit Hamas. Kirby stated the U.S. position was to support “temporary, localized humanitarian pauses for aid, and for people to get out.” The U.S. also said 4 rockets were launched at the Ain al-Asad air base, causing no injuries or damage. Saudi defense minister Khalid bin Salman said he discussed the need for a ceasefire during a meeting with National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan. (AJ, HA, REU, REU 10/30; AJ 10/31)
UK foreign secretary James Cleverly said the UK was working to facilitate a temporary ceasefire to allow more aid to enter Gaza. UK parliamentary private secretary Paul Bristow was fired from the Conservative government for writing a letter to Prime Minister Rishi Sunak calling for a ceasefire. (AJ, REU 10/30; AJ, AJ, HA 10/31)
Axios reported that Mossad director David Barnea traveled to Qatar over the weekend for meetings with Qatari officials regarding a prisoner exchange with Hamas. U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken spoke with Qatari prime minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, discussing the humanitarian situation in Gaza and Qatari efforts to mediate a prisoner exchange. (AJ, AX, HA 10/30)
OIC secretary-general Hussein Brahim Taha condemned the Israeli attacks on Gaza, calling on the international community to intervene. (WAFA 10/30)
In the West Bank, 1 Israeli settler shot 1 Palestinian man near Ras Karkar; according to Israeli authorities, the Palestinian man was unarmed and was shot at a settlement outpost near Ras Karkar; Israeli forces subsequently raided the deceased Palestinian’s house. Israeli settlers also raided Luban al-Sharqiyya, leading to confrontations between Palestinians and the settlers’ military escort; tear-gas related injuries were reported. Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Kafr Malik, injuring 1 with live ammunition. Israeli forces also violently dispersed a protest in Bayt Dajan, causing tear-gas related injuries. Elsewhere, Israeli forces violently dispersed the weekly anti-settlement protest in Kafr Qaddum, injuring 5 Palestinians with rubber-coated bullets. Israeli forces also opened fire on Palestinians near Silwad, injuring 1 with live ammunition. 1 Palestinian was arrested during a late-night raid near Nablus. In Gaza, Israeli forces opened fire on agricultural lands east of Abasan and al-Showka; no injuries were reported. (AJ, AP, HA, JP, MEE, TOI, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 2/5; HA 2/11; PCHR 2/11)
The ICC ruled that it has territorial jurisdiction to persecute alleged war crimes committed in the occupied Palestinian territories, as it found Palestine to be “a State Party to the [Rome] Statute.” The ICC defined the occupied Palestinian territories as the West Bank, including East Jerusalem, and Gaza. Israel has argued that the ICC does not have jurisdiction to prosecute matters pertaining to Israel and Palestine because Israel is not party to the Rome Statute and because Palestine is not a state. The latter 2 of the 3 ICC judges ultimately disagreed with erasing the final hurdle to start a formal investigation, 6 years after the ICC chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda started her preliminary investigation into alleged war crimes made by Israel and Hamas. Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu called the ruling “pure anti-Semitism” and said, “[w]e will fight this perversion of justice with all our might.” The PA prime minister Mohammed Shtayyeh praised the decision. The U.S. State Department’s spokesperson said the U.S. has “serious concern about the ICC’s attempts to exercise its jurisdiction over Israeli personnel. We have always taken the position that the court’s jurisdiction should be reserved for countries that consent to it or that are referred by the UN Security Council.” Haaretz reported that Israel has started briefing military personnel on potential implications for them if the proceedings move to a trial. (AJ, AX, DOS, HA, ICC, NYT, WAFA, WAFA 2/5; AJ, AP, HA, HA, PCHR, REU, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 2/6; AX, HA, HA, HA, MDW, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 2/7; WAFA 2/8)
An UNRWA spokesperson said that the UAE’s contributions to the agency dropped from $51.8 million in 2018 and in 2019 to $1 million in 2020. (AJ, HA 2/6)
The U.S. Biden administration notified Congress that it will remove the Houthi group from the list of foreign terrorist organizations. The Houthis were declared a terrorist organization by the Trump administration shortly before the Trump presidency ended. (REU 2/5; AJ 2/6; AJ 2/8)
In the West Bank, Israeli forces dismantled and seized a shack in Ras Karkar, and handed a punitive demolition order for a house in Jenin. 6 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Ramallah, Bethlehem, ‘Azun, and Kafr Labad. Israeli forces clashed with Palestinians at a checkpoint in Hebron, causing tear-gas related injuries. Israeli settlers vandalized 80 olive trees and ignited a different olive field, burning another 30 olive trees in al-Sawiya. In East Jerusalem, 1 Palestinian was arrested during a late-night raid in Issawiyya. In Gaza, 2 Palestinians were arrested while trying to enter Israel by the Gaza fence. (WAFA, WAFA 1/9; PCHR 1/16)
Lebanese newspaper al-Mayadeen reported that Israel was behind an air strike that killed 8 people in Syria near the Iraqi border. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that no Syrian citizens were killed and that the air strikes had targeted Iran-backed militias. (HA 1/10)
The U.S. administration rejected a request made by Iraqi prime minister Adel Abdul Mahdi for the U.S. troops to leave Iraq. The request was made during a phone call between Prime Minister Mahdi and U.S. secretary of state Mike Pompeo. (AJ 1/10)