In the West Bank, Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian during a raid in Qalandia. Israeli forces also raided Jenin, injuring 7 and uprooting streets. Elsewhere, Israeli forces shot and...
-
December 5, 2023
-
September 8, 2023
In the West Bank, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Kafr Qaddum, injuring 3 with baton rounds and others with tear gas. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided the Bab...
-
August 29, 2023
In the West Bank, Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian during a raid in Qalandia. Israeli forces also raided Jenin, injuring 7 and uprooting streets. Elsewhere, Israeli forces shot and injured 4, including a disabled man, in Qalqas, al-Arroub refugee camp, and Baqa al-Hatab. Israeli forces also sealed 2 printing facilities in Dawha, claiming they were printing incendiary materials. Meanwhile, Israeli forces uprooted 31 olive trees in Nahalin. Israeli forces also seized a vehicle in Qablan. 38 Palestinians were arrested during raids in and around Bethlehem, Qalandia, Nablus, Ramallah, and Jenin. In East Jerusalem, Israeli settlers toured the Haram al-Sharif compound. Israeli forces demolished a building in Bayt Hanina, displacing 13 people. In Gaza, at least 300 people were killed in Israeli attacks on Nuseirat refugee camp, Dayr al-Balah, Gaza City, al-Bureij refugee camp, and Khan Yunis. Israel said it had surrounded and invaded Khan Yunis. Israeli troops also laid siege to the Kamal Adwan Hospital in Beit Lahiya. 2 Israeli soldiers were killed in combat. Rockets were fired at Israel, injuring 2 in Ashkelon. In Lebanon, Israeli forces killed a Lebanese soldier and injured 3 others in an attack on a Lebanese military base; Israel later expressing regret, saying it would review the incident. 3 rockets were fired at Kiryat Shmona. (AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AJ, AP, AX, HA, HA, HA, NYT, REU, REU, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 12/5; AJ, HA, HA, NYT, WAFA 12/6)
More than 16,248 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, including at least 6,387 children and 4,257 women, and around 43,616 have been injured since 10/7. At least 7,000 people were missing in rubble, including 1,700 children. 252 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli forces and settlers in the West Bank and East Jerusalem since 10/7, including 65 children. More than 3,325 people have been injured. Israel reported that 1,200 Israelis and foreign nationals have been killed and 5,431 have been injured since 10/7. 87 Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since the ground invasion began on 10/27. Over 1.9 million Palestinians, nearly 85% of the population of Gaza, have been displaced since 10/7. There has been a complete electricity blackout in Gaza since 10/12 due to the Israeli blockade. As of 11/18, at least 45,000 housing units had been destroyed and 233,000 had been damaged in Israeli airstrikes since 10/7, constituting 60% of all housing units. The Gaza Ministry of Health said at least 1,207 Palestinians have been killed since the ceasefire ended on 12/1. UNRWA said 130 of its staff members have been killed by Israeli forces since 10/7. The UN said dozens of trucks carrying aid, including fuel, entered Gaza but did not provide the actual number. Rafah was the only area to receive aid for the third day in a row. (AJ, HA, UNOCHA, UNOCHA, WAFA 12/5)
At the beginning of the day, PA health minister Mai al-Kaila said at least 15,900 Palestinians have been killed and 40,900 injured in Israeli attacks on Gaza since 10/7, saying the final number of dead will be much higher since many are buried in rubble. (REU, WAFA 12/5)
The PA Ministry of National Economy said 29% of business in the West Bank have been completely or partially closed since 10/7 due to Israeli actions. (WAFA 12/5)
UNICEF spokesperson James Elder said Israeli calls for Palestinians to evacuate do not work, stating the “so-called safe zones . . . are not scientific, they are not rational, there are not possible, and I think the [Israeli] authorities are aware of this.” (AJ 12/5)
Amnesty International released an investigation saying that 43 Palestinian civilians were killed on 10/13 in Israeli attacks where U.S.-made JDAM bombs were used. The U.S. said it was reviewing the Amnesty investigation. (AJ 12/5; REU 12/6)
The PA warned against reported Israeli plans to flood tunnels in Gaza with seawater, saying it would lead to the collapse of residential buildings and infrastructure and to the mixing of ground, sea, and wastewater. (AJ 12/5)
Israeli police approved the “March of Maccabees” in the Old City of Jerusalem on 12/7, where Israeli right-wingers will march in support of removing the Islamic Waqf in order to replace it with full Israeli control over the Haram al-Sharif compound. (AJ, HA, HA 12/5)
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed Israel has killed half of Hamas’ military commanders in Gaza. Netanyahu also said that Israel is the only power that can keep Gaza demilitarized after Israel’s war, rejecting suggestions that an international force be deployed in Gaza. (AJ, AX, HA 12/5; NYT 12/6)
Prime Minister Netanyahu also met with families of Israeli captives held in Gaza. Some of those who attended the meeting labelled it a farce and insulting. (HA, HA, REU 12/5; AJ 12/6)
Egyptian foreign minister Sameh Shoukry met with senators Ted Cruz (R-TX), Marco Rubio (R-FL), Lindsey Graham (R-SC), and Chris Coons (D-DE) in Washington D.C., discussing efforts to end Israel’s war on Gaza. (AJ 12/5)
The leaders of the Gulf Cooperation Council called for an end to the Israeli attacks on Gaza at a summit in Doha. Qatari emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani said at the summit that Israel was committing genocide, called support for Israel’s actions “a disgrace,” and urged the UN Security Council to force Israel back to the negotiations on a ceasefire. (AJ, AJ, HA 12/5)
U.S. vice president Kamala Harris’s National Security Advisor Phil Gordon met with Israeli president Isaac Herzog, war cabinet members Benny Gantz, Tzachi Hanegbi, Ron Dermer, and Gadi Eisenkot, and opposition leader Yair Lapid, updating them on meetings Harris and Gordon held with Arab leaders in Dubai during the COP28 climate conference. Harris is leading the Biden administration’s efforts on securing another ceasefire. (AX, HA 12/5)
U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken announced that that the U.S. has put new visa restrictions on violent Israeli settlers, saying Israel is not doing enough to combat settler violence. Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant later condemned Israeli settler violence, saying only the military, the police, and the Shin Bet have a right to use violence against Palestinians. USAID administrator Samantha Power visited El Arish airport in Egypt where aid to Gaza arrives, saying more “must be done to protect civilians” and for aid to enter Gaza. (AJ, AJ, AP, AX, HA, HA, NYT, REU, REU 12/5)
U.S. president Joe Biden said at a fundraiser that he had heard reports “of women raped, repeatedly raped, and their bodies being mutilated while still alive” by Hamas militants on 10/7. Hamas denied the accusations. (REU 12/5)
The U.S. House of Representatives passed a resolution, H.R. 894, declaring that anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism in a 311-14 vote; 94 Democrats voted present. The resolution also condemned the phrase “from the river to the sea.” (AJ, HA, NYT 12/5; AJ 12/6)
5 U.S. pro-Israel organizations, the American Jewish Committee, the Jewish Federation of North America, the Anti-Defamation League, AIPAC, and the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, created a joint lobbying arm called The 10/7 Project to promote pro-Israel narratives to journalists and U.S. lawmakers. (HA 12/5)
Deutche Welle reported that applicants for citizenship in the German state of Saxony-Anhalt will be required to declare their support for Israel’s right to exist to obtain German citizenship. (AJ 12/5)
CNN reported that the U.S. expects Israel to end its mass ground invasion of Gaza in January 2024. (AJ, HA 12/5)
The Washington Post reported that Israeli sources have estimated that 5,000 out of 30,000 Palestinian militants in Gaza have been killed since 10/7. (AJ, WP 12/5)
Dabke, the Palestinian national dance, was included on the UNCESCO Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage. (WAFA 12/5)
In the West Bank, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Kafr Qaddum, injuring 3 with baton rounds and others with tear gas. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces raided the Bab al-Rahma prayer hall, confiscating items and causing damage. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces opened fire at Palestinian fishermen northwest of Rafah; no injuries were reported. (QDS, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 9/8; PCHR 9/14; UNOCHA 9/26)
At least 20 people were wounded in clashes between Palestinian factions in Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp in Lebanon. Fighting reignited on 9/7 after a month of relative calm. (AJ, AP 9/8; HA 9/9)
Palestinian officials said Israel would reopen the Karim Abu Salem (Kerem Shalom) crossing from 9/10. Israel closed the crossing on 9/4. (AJ, AP, HA, REU 9/8)
A 6.8 magnitude earthquake struck Morocco southwest of Marrakesh, killing more than 2,000 people and causing extensive damage in the south of the country. PA president Mahmoud Abbas extended condolences to King Mohammed VI and offered to send PA rescue teams to the country. (AJ 9/8; AJ, HA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 9/9; WAFA 9/10)
Apple Inc. made an urgent security update for iPhone operating systems after researchers at The Citizen Lab discovered that the Israeli NSO Group had found a new way of infecting iPhone users with its Pegasus spyware. The Citizen Lab said an iPhone belonging to “an individual employed by a Washington D.C.-based civil society organization with international offices” was targeted by NSO. (CitizenLab 9/7; REU 9/8; HA 9/10)
15 Democrats in the U.S. Senate, led by Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), wrote a letter to U.S. secretary of state Antony Blinken urging the Biden administration not to accept Israel into the U.S. Visa Waiver program, saying Israel does not grant equal treatment to Palestinian Americans. (AX, MEE 9/8; HA, WAFA 9/9; TOI 9/10)
In the West Bank, Israeli settlers attacked 1 Palestinian minor and detained him before Israeli forces arrested his 2 brothers who had arrived to help. Israeli forces demolished 1 Palestinian house under construction in al-Buwayb and stone wall fencing in al-Walaja. Israeli forces also issued 7 stop-work orders for homes in Ein ad-Duyuk at-Tahta. Elsewhere, Israeli forces seized 6 Palestinian-owned vehicles in Jinba in the Masafer Yatta area; 11 vehicles have been seized by Israeli forces in the Masafer Yatta area since 8/18. Israeli forces also violently dispersed Palestinian workers trying to enter Israel at the Qalqilya crossing, leading to tear-gas related injuries. 35 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Nablus, Siris, Zeita, Qalqilya, Ramallah, and Marah Rabah. In East Jerusalem, Israeli settlers toured the Haram al-Sharif compound. In the Naqab, Israeli authorities demolished Palestinian homes in Tell ‘Arad. The demolitions were overseen by Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Construction and Housing Minister Yitzchak Goldknopf. Ben-Gvir called the demolitions “sacred work.” (HA, MEE, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 8/29; HA, MEE 8/30; PCHR 8/31; UNOCHA 9/11)
The Wall Street Journal reported that Saudi Arabia had agreed to resume financial aid to the PA in exchange for the PA ending its opposition to Saudi normalization with Israel. The Journal said that if PA counterterrorism measures in the West Bank succeeded then Saudi would not enter a normalization agreement that undermines efforts to create a Palestinian state. (MEE, WSJ 8/29; HA 8/30)
Israeli tourism minister Haim Katz said that he opposes Israel’s pursuit of entry to the U.S. Visa Waiver program, saying it “will oblige us to allow the entry of unwanted parties, Palestinians.” (HA 8/29)
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised “the good neighborly relations” with Saudi Arabia after a plane bound for Israel from the Seychelles made an emergency landing in Jeddah due to a technical malfunction. (AJ, ALM, HA, MEE 8/29)
Israeli defense minister Yoav Gallant met with U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs Barbara Leaf and National Security Council Coordinator for the Middle East and North Africa Brett McGurk in New York, inquiring about Saudi demands for normalization with Israel. Gallant also demanded that the U.S. assures Israel that it will preserve its qualitative military edge in the Middle East. The 2 parties also discussed tensions between Israel and Lebanon. It was reported that the meeting took place in New York City due to a ban by Prime Minister Netanyahu on his cabinet members meeting with U.S. officials in Washington D.C., with the exception of Strategic Affairs Minister Ron Dermer. (AX 8/29; HA 8/30; ALM 9/1)
Parts of the minutes from the Israeli cabinet meeting on 8/30/1993, where the draft declaration of principles for the Oslo Accords were approved by the Israeli government, were released by the Israeli State Archive. In the meeting, then Foreign Minister Shimon Peres told the cabinet that the Palestinian negotiators wanted the Israeli settlements evacuated and upon Israel’s refusal offered to make the settlements free trade zones where both Palestinians and Israelis could live, which was also rejected by Israel. The minutes also showed that Israeli did not intend to discuss the final status of Jerusalem and wanted to maintain its “state lands” in Area C. (HA 8/30; HA 9/1; HA 9/5)