Wednesday, January 1, 2020

In the West Bank, 1 Palestinian was injured by Israeli forces using live ammunition when clashes erupted during a late-night raid in Tubas. 3 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in and around Jenin and Nablus. During the Jenin raid, a Palestinian was hospitalized after being hit by a rubber-coated bullet. Separately, during a late-night raid in Bayt Furik, Israeli forces confiscated 362 Jordanian Dinars ($510) and 12,070 NIS ($3,500). Israeli forces prevented a farmer from working his land and seized 2 tractors near Bayt Dajan, and seized 3 residential tents in Tubas. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces demolished 2 Palestinian-owned houses in Silwan. In an effort suppress Fatah members and supporters celebrating the party’s 55-year anniversary in East Jerusalem, Israeli forces arrested Fatah’s secretary-general in Jerusalem in Wadi al-Juz and 1 Fatah activist in Issawiyya. Israeli forces also removed several Fatah flags from Silwan, al-Tur, and Issawiyya. (WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 1/1; PCHR 1/2)

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had decided to request immunity from prosecution by the Knesset in the 3 criminal cases against him. The Knesset House Committee has to discuss Prime Minister Netanyahu’s request according to Israeli law, and if the committee approves his request, it will go to a vote in the Knesset. However, the House Committee is not expected to assemble before the March elections as it has not been appointed since the Knesset was 1st dissolved in April 2019. Netanyahu also resigned his positions as minister of Health, Welfare, Agriculture, and Diaspora Affairs as required by the indictment against him in the 3 criminal cases. Israel has no law against removing the prime minister from office while indicted. Netanyahu said he would appoint replacements for the 4 ministries in the coming days. (HA 1/1; HA 1/2)

In Baghdad, Iraqi protesters continued attacking the U.S. embassy for the 2d day in a row; however, the crowd was much smaller and no protester breached the gates to the embassy compound. By the end of the day, protesters had vacated the area on orders from the Popular Mobilisation Forces, an Iraqi government-sanctioned paramilitary umbrella organization. (AJ, AJ, NYT, WP 1/1)