4 / 15521 Results
  • October 7, 2023

    Hamas launched Operation Al-Aqsa Flood, entering Israeli towns and villages near Gaza through the Gaza fence and by air, using improvised paramotoring gliders,...

    Read more
  • September 11, 2023

    In the West Bank, Israeli forces injured 2 Palestinians with stun grenade shrapnel during a raid in ‘Aqabat Jaber refugee camp. Israeli forces also shot and injured 3 Palestinians, including 1...

    Read more
  • March 10, 1994

    Cmndr. of border police in Hebron tells Israeli commission of inquiry "it's forbidden to shoot" at settlers, even when they are firing on Palestinians. West Bank IDF cmndr. Maj. Gen. Shaul Mofaz...

    Read more
  • June 12, 1990

    Testifying before Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sec. of State James Baker says U.S. will not rush to break off contacts with PLO, despite fact that PLO's response to 5/30 attempted attack...

    Read more

Hamas launched Operation Al-Aqsa Flood, entering Israeli towns and villages near Gaza through the Gaza fence and by air, using improvised paramotoring gliders, attacking military equipment with explosive drones, and firing thousands of rockets. Palestinian militants took control of at least 14 Israeli bases, police stations, and towns, in addition to the Beit Hanun (Erez) crossing, and bulldozed parts of the Gaza fence. More than 200 people were captured by militants and brought to Gaza, as were dozens of Israeli military vehicles. After the launch of the operation, Israeli forces began fighting militants in the area near the Gaza fence and conducted airstrikes, killing more than 198 Palestinians and injuring 1,610 as of 6 p.m. Israeli airstrikes targeted the Indonesian Hospital and destroyed the second largest building in Gaza, Palestine Tower, among many other residential buildings. Israel said that at least 70 Israelis had been killed and more than 986 wounded as of 5.30 p.m. 20,000 Palestinians were internally displaced, sheltering in UNRWA schools and emergency shelters. Israel dubbed its attacks on Gaza Operation Swords of Iron. In the West Bank, Israeli settlers with a military escort raided Yasuf, injuring 32 Palestinians, including 6 with live ammunition and 1 in a stabbing, and set fire to 3 homes. Israeli settlers also attacked Palestinians in Aqraba, Qusra, Tuqu’, Khirbat Makhul, and Huwwara, injuring 6, including at least 1 with live ammunition. Israeli forces shot and killed 6 Palestinian protesters, including a child, in Beit Umar, Deir Sharaf, Hebron, Qalqilya, Jericho, and al-Bireh, wounding 92 others, including 30 with live ammunition. In East Jerusalem, Israeli forces violently dispersed Palestinian protesters in Shu’fat, Isawiya, Silwan, and al-Tur, injuring 1 with a baton round and others with tear-gas. (AJ, AJ, AJ, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, UNOCHA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 9/7; AP, AP, AP, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, HA, WAFA 10/8; AJ, AJ, AP, HA, HA, HA, REU, REU, REU 10/9; AP, HA 10/10; HA 10/11; AP 10/12; HA 10/17)

Hamas political leader Ismail Haniyeh said Hamas had warned Israel about damaging al-Aqsa Mosque, continued settlement expansion, and raids on Palestinian cities and towns, but that Israel had ignored its warnings. Haniyeh further stated, “Israel could have silenced us by giving us crumbs, but the government turned its back on any possibility of a prisoner exchange and continued the siege of the strip.” Islamic Jihad spokesperson Dauod Shihab said Israeli captives would only be released in a prisoner exchange, adding the organization had taken women and children captives because Israel does the same. PA president Mahmoud Abbas issued a statement saying he had directed the PA forces to “protect Palestinians everywhere,” and that the “Palestinian people has the right to defend itself from any aggression by settlers and the Israeli occupation forces.” All Palestinian factions called for a general strike in the West Bank over the Israeli attacks on Gaza. (AJ, AJ, HA, WAFA 10/7; WAFA 10/8)

Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said “Israel is at war. This is not a so-called military operation, not another round of fighting, but war.” He further stated that Israel will “purge the area [around Gaza] of enemy forces” and then “exact a huge price from the enemy, also in the Gaza Strip.” Netanyahu also spoke with opposition leaders Benny Gantz and Yair Lapid about forming an emergency unity government. Lapid said he would only join the government if Netanyahu fired National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir and Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich. Israel also called up tens of thousands of reservists in preparation for a potential ground invasion. Israeli energy minister Yisrael Katz signed an order to disconnect Gaza from the Israeli power grid. (AJ, AJ, HA, HA, WAFA 10/7; HA 10/8)

U.S. president Joe Biden spoke with Prime Minister Netanyahu. Biden condemned Hamas in a speech, calling their operation “unconscionable.” Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke to President Mahmoud Abbas, calling on him to condemn the Hamas operation. Abbas also spoke with French president Emmanuel Macron. (HA, HA, WAFA 10/7; HA 10/8)

The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society said Israel had imposed punitive measures against Palestinian prisoners, including placing sections of prisons on lockdown, seizing televisions, increasing jamming devices, and stopping family and lawyer visits. (WAFA 9/8)

Israel closed all crossings from the West Bank and Gaza and closed several checkpoints in the West Bank. (WAFA 10/7; WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 10/8)

Arab League secretary-general Ahmed Aboul Gheit called for an immediate ceasefire. (WAFA 10/7)

In the West Bank, Israeli forces injured 2 Palestinians with stun grenade shrapnel during a raid in ‘Aqabat Jaber refugee camp. Israeli forces also shot and injured 3 Palestinians, including 1 minor, during a raid in al-Arroub refugee camp. 17 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Hebron, Dura, Sa’ir, Beit Umar, Beit Kahel, Surif, ‘Azzun, Jenin, and Aqabat Jaber refugee camp. In East Jerusalem, 3 Palestinians were arrested during late-night raids in Jabel Mukaber and Biddu. Off the coast of Gaza, Israeli naval forces shot and injured 1 Palestinian fisherman with a baton round and arrested 2 others northwest of Rafah. (WAFA, WAFA 9/11; PCHR 9/14; UNOCHA 9/26)

10 Palestinians were killed and dozens injured during fighting in Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp in Lebanon over the weekend. Fighting reignited on 9/7 after a month of relative quiet. A ceasefire was declared later in the day after Lebanese general Elias al-Baysari met with members of Palestinian factions at his office in Beirut. (AJ, ALM, AP, REU 9/11)

The Jerusalem District Planning Authority approved the construction of 2 new Israeli settlements, Kidmat Tzion and the Hebron Strip, which is an extension of Givat Hamatos, in East Jerusalem. Kidmat Tzion lies within Ras al-Amud and will have 385 housing units. The plan was pushed by the Ateret Cohanim settlement organization which presented the plans in April. The Hebron Strip, of which 2/3 is in East Jerusalem, will have 3,500 housing units, a hotel, and a commercial area. (PCN 9/8; HA 9/11)

Al-Quds newspaper reported the U.S. has supplied the PA with armored vehicles, bullets, tear gas, sound bombs, riot shields, and k-9s with the approval of Israel. Palestinian and Israeli sources later told Haaretz that the U.S. had only transferred armored vehicles to the PA. The U.S. State Department denied that the U.S. had supplied weapons or ammunition. Israeli national security minister Itamar Ben-Gvir warned Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of consequences if Israel had allowed weapons to be transferred to the PA. Netanyahu later confirmed that Israel had facilitated the transfer of armored vehciles to the PA, but not weapons. The PA said it had not received equipment from Israel. Hamas said the reported transfer will only bolster the interests of the occupation.  (QDS 9/11; QDS 9/12; HA, HA, HA, QDS, WAFA 9/13; MDW 9/14; ALM 9/15)

The Israeli broadcaster Kan reported that the Israeli military had admitted to mistakenly shooting 3 Palestinians during a raid in Jenin on 8/28, injuring the 3, including 1 who is now a paraplegic. None of the Palestinian victims were interrogated after being dropped off at different hospitals. (TOI 9/11; MEMO 9/12)

Haaretz reported that Israeli police had banned vendors in the Old City of Jerusalem from selling t-shirts featuring the Palestinian flag, the Palestinian key, and other Palestinian symbols and slogans. (HA 9/11; MEMO 9/12)

4 Palestinian border police officers were sentenced to between 4 years in prison and community service for attacking and robbing Palestinians entering Israel via a hole in the separation wall south of Hebron. (HA 9/11; MEMO 9/12)

Israel’s Interior Ministry said that Palestinian Americans living in Gaza who are not considered a security threat by Israel will be able to enter Israel on a B2 tourist visa and use Israeli airports. First-degree Palestinian American relatives of people living in Gaza will also be allowed to visit Gaza for up to 90 days once a year. The policy change was part of Israel’s efforts to be admitted to the U.S. Visa Waiver program. (MEE, MEMO, REU 9/11)

U.S. assistant secretary of state for Near Eastern affairs Barbara Leaf met with Israeli officials, reportedly discussing Palestinian demands related to the Israel-Saudi normalization deal. Israeli national security advisor Tzachi Hanegbi said at a conference at Reichman University that he is in talks with the PA about their demands but had threatened that if the PA approach the ICJ Israel will sever security and political ties. (HA, HA, QDS 9/11)

More than 20,000 people were feared dead after a storm broke 2 dams near the eastern Libyan city of Derma. At least 23 Palestinians died in the flood. The PA’s Emergency Intervention and Response Team arrived in Libya on 9/13 to assist with finding survivors. The storm also caused flooding in Gaza, damaging infrastructure and homes. (WAFA, WAFA 9/11; AJ, HA, NYT, WAFA 9/12; AJ, AJ, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA, WAFA 9/13; AJ, QDS 9/14; AP 9/15)

Cmndr. of border police in Hebron tells Israeli commission of inquiry "it's forbidden to shoot" at settlers, even when they are firing on Palestinians. West Bank IDF cmndr. Maj. Gen. Shaul Mofaz denies testimony, saying order applies only to IDF-settler or Palestinian-settler clashes, not cases of murder. Witnesses also tell commission TV surveillance system malfunctioned on day of massacre. (MM 3/10; NYT, WP, WT 3/11)

Reuters reports 11-mbr. PLO commission also investigating Hebron massacre has interviewed 25 witnesses and is examining medical records, complaints against settlers. (WT 3/11)

Palestinians attack Beit Hadassah settler enclave in Hebron when curfew lifted. IDF responds with bullets and tear gas, wounding 16 Palestinians. 2 dozen others treated for tear-gas inhalation. In Gaza Strip, 15-yr.-old shot dead by IDF in Dayr al-Balah r.c. (MM 3/10; NYT, WP, WT 3/11)

Kahane Chai leader Binyamin Kahane sentenced to 9 mos. in prison, 9 mos. suspended for assaulting police in 1991. (MM 3/11)

French DM Francois Leotard and PM Rabin sign military technology research and development cooperation agreement. Accord, covering lasers, drones, and other hightech items, is 1st Franco-Israeli defense pact since 1967. (MM 3/11; MEI 4/15)

Testifying before Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Sec. of State James Baker says U.S. will not rush to break off contacts with PLO, despite fact that PLO's response to 5/30 attempted attack has "fallen short of the mark." Baker reports that "an extraordinarily large number" of allies has urged Washington not to move too quickly or rashly [WT, WP 6/13]; Baker also says that at least 7 nations including Egypt and USSR have agreed to urge PLO to save its dialogue with U.S. [LAT 6/13]; Pres. Bush reiterates his call for PLO to roundly condemn 5/30 attempted attack [WP 6/13].

Officials in Bush admin. and Congress say Israel has emerged as leading supplier of advanced military technology to China, despite U.S.'s clearly expressed opposition to Israeli-Chinese military cooperation [LAT 6/13].

IDF soldier throws tear gas grenade into UN maternity clinic in Gaza Strip; 66 infants are treated for gas inhalation. IDF says soldier acted contrary to orders, and legal steps would be taken. IDF was responding to stonethrowing incident around the clinic (cf. 6/13, 6/14) [JDS 6/12 in FBIS 6/14; WT, WP, LAT 6/13; FJ 6/18].